2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh... I was able to get hold of the welder guy that I used in the past, Jarrod Wickham, and spoke to him about what I needed done. Turns out he's got a full blown business going now welding up tool boxes so wasn't doing these types of small jobs anymore. But he was willing to do it for me if I didn't have any other options. He recommended a local shop that does custom off road bumpers called Hard Notched Customs. He even called them for me and then advised me to go to the place they send their customers for installation called Pegoraro Auto Repair. I'm going to contact HNC to see if they would be willing work with me on getting mounting brackets in place so that I can just bolt it up myself. Their shop also does powder coating so I may look into that too. Had I known about this shop I would have stayed local.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Bob I have a portable air pump (good one)

That's the way to go... are you running 18's? Probably better for airing down than 20's. I'm torn on wheel size. I like the look of the large side walls (smaller wheels) but I'm afraid of giving up handling.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your mom... glad to hear dad's still going strong though! At 91! That's awesome! I hope I'm still in good shape when I get that old (if I get that old).
Thanks Bob, mom had been in bad shape for years and dad kept her going. If live to be as old as my dad, I hope I'm in as good as shape as him, if I'm like my mom then I don't want to live that long. :(

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the way to go... are you running 18's? Probably better for airing down than 20's. I'm torn on wheel size. I like the look of the large side walls (smaller wheels) but I'm afraid of giving up handling.
I noticed a big difference in handling when I switched from the stock 17" wheels on my 05 to the 20" wheels and tires I got from a 2010 F150 King Ranch. The steering was more precise and it responded quicker and seemed as if it tracked better. The ride was firmer too. The 17 comes standard with 20" wheels on the Limited. I can post a closer picture of the wheels and tires if you want to see what the sidewall looks like.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed a big difference in handling when I switched from the stock 17" wheels on my 05 to the 20" wheels and tires I got from a 2010 F150 King Ranch. The steering was more precise and it responded quicker and seemed as if it tracked better. The ride was firmer too. The 17 comes standard with 20" wheels on the Limited. I can post a closer picture of the wheels and tires if you want to see what the sidewall looks like.

Thanks, Andy. Does your 2017 have the P275/55R20's? I've read that they also offered 22" wheels. That's getting down there in profile. I have a set of 305/40R22's that I got off of Craigslist a few years ago. They look pretty cool but I think they're a little too much wheel for my liking. I have my eyes on 35" tires on either 20" or 18" wheels.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Managed to get the bumper up to the proper level so that I could gauge where to make my final cut of the front moulding. With the help of a straight edge and a utility knife, I got the final cut done. I'll cut the mounting flanges for the original bumper off and am planning on heading into the Hard Notched Custom in the morning to see if they would be willing to weld up mounting brackets and perhaps powder coat my bumper. Depends on cost.

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6600.JPG

IMG_6601.JPG

On this last picture you can see that there's zero support for the bottom of the grill. I'm thinking of cutting the foam peace that sits behind the bottom of the grill but there will only be about two inches worth running along the bottom. May be enough to keep things in place.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Managed to get the bumper up to the proper level so that I could gauge where to make my final cut of the front moulding. With the help of a straight edge and a utility knife, I got the final cut done. I'll cut the mounting flanges for the original bumper off and am planning on heading into the Hard Notched Custom in the morning to see if they would be willing to weld up mounting brackets and perhaps powder coat my bumper. Depends on cost.

View attachment 19911

View attachment 19912

View attachment 19913

View attachment 19914

On this last picture you can see that there's zero support for the bottom of the grill. I'm thinking of cutting the foam peace that sits behind the bottom of the grill but there will only be about two inches worth running along the bottom. May be enough to keep things in place.
Looking good brother damn can't wait to order mine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got back from HNC (Hard Notched Customs)... Super great guys! I spoke with Joel, who I think is the owner, and his second hand man (didn't get his name). Super friendly, helpful, supportive, accommodating, down to earth. Wish I would have known about them sooner. I told them that I went with WAM because no one else offers a bumper for the 2nd gen Expeditions. Maybe once they get mine installed they'll add one to their lineup.

Showed them my bumper and described how it was supposed to be mounted and they agreed that the mounting scheme WAM was proposing wasn't going to provide the strength needed for a true winch bumper. So they are going to come up with a mounting scheme that may end up tying into the existing one. Luckily I didn't cut those brackets completely off. I had started cutting one off this morning but it was taking too long and I wanted to get over to HNC so I left it. Talked about what all I wanted done, talked about powder coating options, they took me back and showed me their operation along with samples of the finish they normally put on their bumpers. Decided to go with the Arizona Beige to match the trim... adds $130 bucks for the powder but I've got a lot tied into this bumper so don't want to start skimping now.

So I have an appointment for April 20th. Will leave the Expedition with them, they'll come up with a mounting scheme and get that welded on, will make some mods to give the bumper a better custom fit where it would tie in with the moulding around the wheel wells. I might have them mount some low pre-runner type of bars... kind of a cool look but adds more money, they will sand and powder coat on Friday, and they will then do the final mounting for me. I couldn't have been happier with the game plan! The only thing that would have been better is if they could have gotten me into their schedule today... unfortunately I need to wait two weeks to get err done.

Here's a picture of the low, second bars that tie into the "A" frame. Not sure there's a way to add that to my bumper without getting in front of the lights. The "A" frame on mine also doesn't lean forward much. We'll see if the budget can even handle it... but I do REALLY like that look.

upload_2017-4-7_10-35-28.png

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Andy. Does your 2017 have the P275/55R20's? I've read that they also offered 22" wheels. That's getting down there in profile. I have a set of 305/40R22's that I got off of Craigslist a few years ago. They look pretty cool but I think they're a little too much wheel for my liking. I have my eyes on 35" tires on either 20" or 18" wheels.
Yes the standard tire size on the Limited is the 275 55R 20s and you can get the optional 22". The XLT has 18s and optional 20s. The Platinum is only available in 22"