2003 Expetition Idle dropand dies at startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Looneytech

Reaction score
To the Brain trust,

Greetings,

I have a 2003 Expedition (don't remember the engine size right now) Base line model, power windows, locks, and 6 disc factory cd radio that's about it. We bought it about 7 months ago, it's been running great, but we are noticing a problem. Sometime, not all the time, but getting more frequent, when we get in and start it up, it will start fine, sound normal, then idle drops and it dies, sometimes we can restart and it will run fine after that, other times we have to start it several times before it will stay running. Does not seem to matter if engine is cold or not. we could have been driving an hour and stop for gas or something and have the problem. what could it be? The engine light is not on, and after it starts it runs fine. I'm stuck, the wife expects me to fix it but I do not know where to begin. HELP!!!!:confused:

Does this make sense? I can give more details if needed.

Thanks in advance for the help:)

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know the last time it was serviced? I would recommend doing the fuel filter, also check for a vacuum leak. Does it start and sputter or just start and shut off without slowly dying?

OP
OP
L

Looneytech

Reaction score
does not sputter, starts the rpm goes up to about 1200 then drops to about 700 or so then just dies. When it does stay started the normal idle is about 700 rmp

Zamora

Reaction score
i was having the same problem in my 03 expy and it also was causing problems while driving do you have a bucking or stalling feeling? if so i might have a answer so i had it go on for a few months before deciding to take it to a shop and after pulling codes i had a few things wrong. 1st was a vacuum hose leak cant remember the exact hose($30), 2nd was the crank shaft sensor($60), and third was a couple of coils were starting to go bad and i had all of the replaced for good measure($700). after 1000 dollars of parts and some labor my problem was fixed. i hope my experience helps you figure out whats going on with your expy.

redneck82

Reaction score
i know im a few years late chiming in, but ive got a 97 that has the same problem... i thought it may be the filter or even intermittent pump issues so i just replacedboth last night but it is still doing it... it actuallyleft me stranded a few nites back... did the start and die routine the just cranked with nothing... went back to my truck the next day, jumped in... damn thing started right up like nothing had happened... has anyone come up with the actual answer on this one yet?
i could really use the help...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well guys, not one of you guys mentioned running dtc codes to check for possible failing sensor, part or wiring problem. A sticky idle air control valve can cause this problem, but usually when they stick they almost always make engine die. Run a scan, spray out iac motor, maf sensor clean with maf spray, run vacuum hose leak tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk