2003 Expo Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I recently found this website when I was trying to search the web on how to change my spark plugs and coils in my 2003.5 Expedition. Yes, I did say 2003.5. I don't know if anyone noticed, but there are some 2003 Expo's out there that are 2003's with the old body style (same nose as the '98 F-150). Mine is the new body style. So, therefore I consider it a 2003.5.

I had to change the #3 spark plug in my 2003 Expedition 4.6L due to a misfiring problem, which I might add is the most annoying problem that any engine can have. Which happen to be the 3rd one back from the front on the passenger side. Now, could someone please explain how to change the #4 spark plug, and the #8 spark plug (2 closest to the back of the engine)? I would love to do a tune up on my gorgeous Expo, but not sure what I should / need to change so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Ryan

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did this on my fathers 2002 f250 5.4
I removed
PASS.jpg

DRIVE1.jpg

DRIVE2.jpg

and yes the number 3 and 4 and 7 and 8 cylinders are a ***** to get to but can be done with a regular 5/8 sparkplug socketwith extensions as for number 7 coil i used a 1/4 drive knuckle to get to the bolt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tech

Reaction score
How many miles you got on your Expo? That engine compartment is extremely dirty! LOL

Thanks for the tips!

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nah that's my dads 2002 f250 5.4L that i take 4 wheeling twice a month. but the motor is practically the same 5.4 has a longer stroke than the 4.6 that is really the only difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tech

Reaction score
Here is a new one...

I had to replace yet another coil pack... Now replacing them are not too bad, however the screws that hold the coil packs in place suck! I got it about half way in and the screw that holds it in place snapped! So, I had to get that screw out, then go to home depot find the screw with the same threads, and replace it. Talk about a nightmare when the screw busted. Ford should really give screw replacements with the coil packs because those screws heat up and cool down constantly... sometimes faster than they want to.

Sorry, had to vent! :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69