2003 expy problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kuciaman

Reaction score
Hello all I am new to this forum. I have dearched this pretty well and have not found any definite answers to the following...

1. Is there a TSB or recall on the front break pads for squeaking or excessive break dust. My dealer says to just get use to it.

2. Why do I hear alot of wind noise fom my rear pass window?

3. Why do I smell anti freeze after the veh has been running for a while?

I have an 03 xlt 2wd if that helps. Thanks in advance.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm, I only have #1. Yes, just get used to it or get some different brake pads. There was a post awhile back that someone made claiming to eliminate most of the breakdust.

OP
OP
K

kuciaman

Reaction score
Thanks BikeRider. That sucks since I am sorta **** about my car being clean.

ExpyBob

Reaction score
Get Kleen Wheels. Google that and you'll find dealers.

I have them on my 04 for 25000 miles with no dust or problems.

Bob

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
#2. Which window? The rear door windows, rear fixed windows rear hatch window.

#3. I'd first check for obvious leaks under the hood and the lines that run to the rear heater.

I'd also try to snigg out where it is coming from after driving the truck for awhile.

Take a Sunday afternnoon, get the truck warmed up, find the smell and try to track its location down.

It must be cold where you are, maybe it is the rear heater.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO I wouldn't get Kleen wheels. Yes, they do a great job of preventing brake dust, but they also block the ventilation for your brakes, making the rotors a lot more likely to warp from heat. Just buy some new pads that don't create dust, lots of been mentioned on this forum. New pads are going to be cheaper then the dust covers + new rotors.
Also talk to your local Ford dealership, mine said that if I got the backs replaced, they would do the front for free with the new pads that don't cause as much dust.

ExpyBob

Reaction score
That's an old rumor created by a product which no longer exists.

The dealer recommended and installed them.

Read this---

http://www.kleenwheels.com/kleenwheels_faq.htm

As you'll see they don't create problems. I've had them the entire time on my 2004 Expy--25,000 miles and there is no degredation of rotors or braking problems.

If you go to other Ford related sites you'll see their praises.

Old rumors are difficult to kill.

Bob

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your rotors probably won't get warped from using them during daily driving, but there's no denying they cause less ventilation then stock. So your brakes will heat up faster, and pads wear faster when they get hotter.

Their site states they work and are safe, which is true, but I think that they could lead to faster brake pad wear. That's all I'm saying.

rainmn

Reaction score
Kleen Wheels had a lot to do with that "Old rumor created by a product that no longer exists." When they first started out, with the non-vented original shields, I was working at a performance shop. (16-17 years ago.) They sent a rep in, and as soon as he showed them to us, we all told him our thoughts on what they would do to a set of rotors. He insisted that they did all kinds of testing, blah, blah, blah, including track cars, with no ill effects.
That last statement perked up our ears, so we asked for a set for our BMW 2002 track car for us to demo them. The rotors on that car lasted about a lap and a half, if I remember right. They came out with the "New and improved" vented Kleen Wheels not long after.
As smoothride said, you're probably fine with them on an Expedition for daily driving. Obviously the track car was an extreme example. My point is simply that the company brought those "Rumors" on itself....and they were not rumors. I sold plenty of rotors to owners of the original shields back then.
Suffice to say that I don't have them on my Expedition, and I definitely wouldn't put them on my 993. If you wax your wheels when you wax your paint, the brake dust is very easy to clean.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's good advice about the wax. When I used to have a mercedes with nice rims, I would always wax the wheels and it would make the dust wipe right off with a dry cloth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt