2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 XLT 4WD Towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaMann74

Reaction score
Getting ready to retire soon. My wife and myself was wondering if this Travel Trailer would do weight wise, without strain on the 03 Expy, for two part-time, soon-to-be Rv'ers. Jayco/Starcraft 197RB. It's about 20.4Ft,Axle Weight:3125 lbs Hitch Weight:410 lbs Unloaded vehicle weight: 3620 lbs Max. cargo capacity
: 1330 lbs ( GVWR):4950 lbs. Was curious too, if I would need a WDH, and if so what kind for this type of load. We are tring to start off small too see if we would like to do this full-time. Then from there graduate to a 5th Wheel, with a F350.

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would highly recommend a WDH makes all the difference in the world!!! Had a 30' behind my Silverado for a few years and rode like a dream. If you've got the HD Tow Package you'll be set. If you don't you wouldn't have any problems unless you're constantly in the mountains.

Also would recommend an additional tranny oil cooler to keep that fluid temp down. I don't know if they can be installed in the '03+ Expy's but I put a TransGo shift kit in my Silverado and she pulls like a 3500. If they make one to install in your Expedition it is money well spent.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Also would recommend an additional tranny oil cooler to keep that fluid temp down.

On that note, my transmission guy recommended synthetic fluid for my tranny. He said it operates cooler than factory and on the last flush I had him use that.

I pull a 5,500lb boat and trailer. Only time it gives me fits is when I'm in the mountains. Just my normal running is fine. Once I'm down the road, I somtimes forget it's behind me.

cherokeexj32

Reaction score
towing with 03

I just towed my in-laws 2006 Rockwood 26' Ultra lite camper (about 5100) and the truck performed flawlessly. I was using a WDH.

miller57

Reaction score
2003 fx4

i tow a 27 ft travel trailer with my 03 xlt FX4 all summer long
Trailer weight #7800 lbs. Pulls a little slower up hills, but that should be expected. You should always tow with the O/D off, and always use a W/D hitch. I have the HD towing package.
Good Luck with your retirement
miller57

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that little trailer would be just fine for the expy... the WDH will make towing it a little more plesant but not required for that small of a trailer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986