2003 Ford Expedition need additional center console dome map light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtrider

Reaction score
I love my 2003 expedition and it's been good to me but one thing it has always needed and I am finally going to get around to doing is to add a center console or additional map light that faces right down in the center. I can't hardly see in the center console at all and I am not sure why they neglected a simple additional light right in the center of the ceiling up front. The side mounted map lights are way too angled to make a good difference.

Anyone added a supplementary light and care to give some advice? I'm looking for something that will fit nicely and look a bit streamlined. I also need to wire it up to some accessory wiring so if anyone knows what wiring to tap in please let me know. Perhaps the current map light wiring can take additional load.

Overall I guess I am just way too used to the soundoffsignal lights in our squad cars. I really like the red or white option and good light!

Dome Lights (LED & Incandescent) | Sound Off Signal

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the vanity lights or I have an led flashlight in center console. Or if you want something like your squad car, I'd say get one of the battery operated led lights. Like the ones you can put in closets and put it on the bottom side of the console lid.

Last edited:

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a couple of Oznium led's, wire them to the console lights that come on when the headlights come on or a keyed wire that stays on when the key is on

rollingbear

Reaction score
i have the same problem... i went to pick a part and got a matching gray dome/map light out of a f150 with the mounting plate/wires for about 7.00 and i am going to install it in the headliner just behind the sunroof. i found the wiring schismatic on a ford ranger forum and i will get to it as soon as all the snow melts.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Center Console Light project....

I love my 2003 expedition and it's been good to me but one thing it has always needed and I am finally going to get around to doing is to add a center console or additional map light that faces right down in the center. I can't hardly see in the center console at all and I am not sure why they neglected a simple additional light right in the center of the ceiling up front. The side mounted map lights are way too angled to make a good difference.

Anyone added a supplementary light and care to give some advice? I'm looking for something that will fit nicely and look a bit streamlined. I also need to wire it up to some accessory wiring so if anyone knows what wiring to tap in please let me know. Perhaps the current map light wiring can take additional load.

Overall I guess I am just way too used to the soundoffsignal lights in our squad cars. I really like the red or white option and good light!

Dome Lights (LED & Incandescent) | Sound Off Signal

I got a flush mount Hella LED light from my local West Marine (or you can order online...) for about $25, and a Quiet Switch from my local Radio Shack ( $5 ). Pulled the inner console liner out and made the appropriate holes, and used tinned duplex wire to run power from the rear cigarette lighter to the light switch and light as needed. Took about an hour. Looks and works great now for almost ten years. The red LED works best so you don't blind yourself at night if you really need something in your console and don't want to lose your night vision :gunner: .
The small square switch mounted just above the light is very easy to find in the dark. It is powered all the time, just like the rear lighter. Another thing I found helpful was to replace the stock white bulb in the forward console ashtray with a red LED bulb, since it's on anytime the parking lights are on. The red LED runs much cooler, draws almost no amperage, and doesn't destroy your night vision if you or someone else opens the ashtray at night.

-Mike

ExpCentConsole_zps1bba7961.jpg

Last edited: