2004 4wd need transmission, 4R75W vs. 4R70W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wbmiller3

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a 2004 expedition with a 5.4 V8 and 4wd. The transmission case is broken right where it bolts to the transfer case, (knew it when purchased). In researching used/rebuit/remanufactured transmissions there seems to be confusion as to which the 2004 came with, some rebuilders say it's a 4R70W and others say it's the 4R75W. Date of manufacture was 3/2004. Anyone know what transmission came with this? Also wondered if there was any difference between a 4R75W from a Crown Vic besides the tail shaft/transfer case? In other words could you use a 2WD tranny and change out your tailpiece or are the output assy. totally different. Noticed that the 3valve 5.4's aren't listed as compatible 4R75W swaps for 2v 2004's Curious... Will a 4R70W work? lot's of 03's and earlier's available cheap. I guess to condense this post I've got a 2004 5.4 4X4, what are my transmission options? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
W

wbmiller3

Reaction score
broken tranny

Yes, it's cracked right at the transmission/transfer mount on the transmission side just above the pan, I'll try and insert a pic...new to this forum, haven't done it before.

Attachments

• CIMG2071 (2).jpg
    CIMG2071 (2).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 127
Last edited: