2005 Alternator issues....fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHutch

Reaction score
Big shout out and THANK YOU to all of you on these forums that give helpful advise!!!
I started having issues with my original factory alternator in August of 2020 with it not charging, only putting out 10.2 volts. Not having an understanding of how the charging system operates I assumed the original factory unit had served it's useful life and I replaced it with the the only local unit available at the time which was a Advance Auto rebuilt alternator. (Carquest 8303A)
The rebuilt unit worked but the battery light on my dash stayed on all the time. Then it December of 2020 (4 months later) the rebuilt alternator started having issues with low output voltage, 11.2 volts with no load other than the engine running.
I took the unit back to Advance Auto where they tested it on the vehicle with the vehicle running and said the unit was working fine and it had to be an issue with my Expy, but they exchanged it for a second rebuilt unit.

The second rebuilt unit worked (by this I mean had an output voltage of 13.5 volts) but the battery light on the dash stayed on all the time.
I started researching the charging systems on the Expedition by reading these forums and YouTube links to come up with every possible issue and how to check them. After checking every possible issue and verifying the continuity of all the system connections, associated fuses, relays and all those contacts along with testing the Gencom/Gendom circuit connections and resistance. My next step was to find a place that could scope the PCM and charging system.

Then on February 1st 2021 the second rebuilt alternator started having issues with low voltage output after start up. I went through rechecking everything I could remember to check and found the alternator was not outputting anything on the Gendom wire to the PCM.
Advance Auto manager keeps insisting the unit is good and there is an issue with my vehicle even though I tell him the alternator is not communicating with the PCM.
So I went online and found a Ford Dealer with a NEW factory Ford replacement alternator. It was actually cheaper than the AA rebuilt piece of crap even with shipping.
My charging system is working great no matter how much load is on the system, the PCM is happy and the battery light on the dash is no longer on!!!

Manager of Advance Auto is refusing to take their piece of crap back and refund my money because he said it's been mounted and when they bench test it, it puts out voltage. I asked him at what frequency is the alternator communicating back to the computer, is it 125Mhz? He has no idea of what I'm talking about and can only say that the tester test everything and it says GOOD at the end of the test.
I realize now that my original factory part did give up after 15 years and I only compounded my problems by choosing to go to Advance Auto and buy their rebuilt crap!
Lesson learned!! Don't buy Advance Auto/Carquest rebuilt pieces of crap to put on your vehicle.

If I'm allowed to name the Ford Dealer who's online web site sells Ford parts cheaper than other dealers and sometimes cheaper than cheap auto parts store parts I will post it on here. My local Ford Dealerships will rape you if given the chance.
My fight with AA on getting my money back is not over!!

Again, THANK YOU EVERYONE who contributes on these forums, you may not see or hear us but we are here!!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your Expy ? Most of the Gen2 Expies came with 110A alternators, and the rebuilts carried by the low end autoparts stores can be anything from 100-150A, with no indication in the parts listing. The PCM expects to see 110A output, and anything off that will trigger a battery light and "no charge" faults from the PCM. The only brick stores I've seen that specify the output of the alternator was NAPA or the Ford dealership parts shop. Rock Auto also specifies the alternator output.

OP
OP
JHutch

JHutch

Reaction score
It's a 2005 XLT 5.4L. Yes, the Advance Auto/Carquest was a 130amp rebuilt. The new Ford factory alternator I installed is also spec. at 130amp for front & rear ac.

I may be wrong but a 130 amp alternator does not put out 130 amps all the time. When the load on the system increases that will cause the voltage to go down so the PCM will demand an increase in voltage to meet the load demand and that will increase the amperes on the alternator to meet the voltage demands.
The lower the voltage, the higher the amperage. The 130 amp alternator is capable of delivering the higher voltage needed even with higher load demands.