Using Expedition as backup 1kW power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slavikf

Reaction score
Where I live we don't have power outages often. So, I don't have any power backups, generator, etc...

But last week there was 3 hours long outage. And it was really inconvenient. Especially since I'm working from home.
I have UPS, but it only lasts 7-10 mins.

I can buy the generator, but then I'll have to maintain it, store fuel for it, etc... Also, reading reviews, the most common issue with generator is failure to start after it was stored.

So, I decided to try to use my 2010 Ford Expedition EL as backup power source.

First I tried the inverter, which I already had: 3kW MotoMaster Eliminator modified sine.
Found, that UPS is incompatible with modified sine inverter. Computer doesn't like modified sine, too.

So, I bought 1.2kW inverter (Ampeak pure sine), connected it to the battery terminals of Expedition.
The outside temperature was ~60F.
The Expedition was idling.

TEST 1: I tried it with UPS + monitor + NAS + router + switch + monitor. The load was ~150 watt. Everything worked perfect for ~2 hours. Measured voltage was > 14v. Looks like with that load the system can work for hours.

TEST 2: I had everything connected from test 1 above, and connected toaster (~800W). The total load was ~950W. Voltage dropped to 11.4v, which probably means, that battery is getting discharged. But after about a minute or so RPM went a bit higher and voltage restored to 13.6V. Good.
I had that load for about 7 mins. The inverter's temperature reached 109F. But it continued to work.

What do you think - is 1kW too much load for the Expedition electrical system? Is it ok to use it as a backup power source?

Last edited:

RacerBX1

Reaction score
So, I’m not going to answer whether it’s ok, but give you some things to consider. First, if it seems to work then it should (for a short time). For your 1K load your inverter is not 100% efficient and I would think somewhere between 50% to 75%, so worst case you are pulling 2K watts. For a 12VDC battery that‘s almost 170 amps per hour of 1K watts 120AC use per hour. That is a lot of constant draw on the battery and I bet that would not even last 2 hours before your voltage is to low and your battery possibly cooked. At 100 Watts you should be ok for a couple of hours, but may need to jump your Expedition when done. If you run the Expedition (which I don’t recommend idling for multiple hours) you might be ok at 100 watt. At idle you won’t be charging your battery much because you need RPM’s for a good charge. I would think a small 2000 Watt Generator would be a better option. Yes, you are correct on the storage of a generator. If not properly stored your carburetor will gum up and not run correctly. Biggest reason for that is blended gas. Pure gas in generators is much better. Also drain the float bowl on the generator after use does wonders and the drained gas can be put back in the tank. For just 100 to 200 watts maybe one of those portable Battery Pack generator things if you don’t want to store gas or have no place to store generator or gas. For gas storage you can always put it in one of your vehicles after every month or two and get new to keep is decently fresh and use Sta-bul. Hope this helps with your decisions.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't run a Rube Goldberg setup off my vehicle. Go buy a small inverter generator and just bite the bullet and maintain it like your job depends on it. Run ethanol-free gas in it and drain the fuel from the carb and the tank when you store it and you won't have a problem when you need it. 90% of the people complaining about their generators being hard to start screwed up and left fuel in the carburetor when they stored it. They are simple to maintain. You just have to do it.

Generac 3500 Inverter Generator on Amazon

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a 13,000 watt portable generator for long duration outages. Propane or natural gas only to avoid fuel issues. I installed a 50 amp inlet for my panel. It takes under 20 minutes to hook up and runs my entire house, including both AC units.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you purchase a fuel injected portable inverter generator, you will have clean power and don't need to worry about the carburetor getting gummed up. We had 2 different Honda models and they always started when needed and could run for days as long as they were fed fuel. Another alternative is what Jason suggested which is to get a multi-fuel genset and keep a few bottles of propane around.

These days there are a number of different companies that make fuel injected portable gensets. I've always liked / bought Honda, but they are expensive.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume your expedition was idling during the high load test, you may find that if you reved the engine up, the alternator would have started charging the battery, dynamos and alternators don’t produce a lot of power under idle conditions.. having said that, I bought a 10KW generator (used for $400) 5 years ago and it gets used once maybe twice a year for a few hours and it works great, I just make sure to turn off the fuel and let the generator run until it dies, that means there is no fuel in the carb to evaporate and block jets, it’s electric start and has been great, it allows everything in the house to operate (except our electric water heater and the house heating which is also electric). Seems a better solution to me than starting up the expedition and using it as an inverter-generator.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a cheap 5,000 watt generator. Prior owner didn't start it up and gummed up the carburetor. I bought it, and put on a new carburetor. It cost only $13!

I start it up every four or five months and put Sta-Bil in it. I then shut off the petcock, and run it out of gas after about 15 minutes. It has been running fine ever since.