2005 Ford Expedition Electric Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flex

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a leak somewhere that leads to where my fuse box is (floor on the passenger side), and now most of my electronics do not function. Originally when the problems started there were some heavy rains and my electronics would turn off while I drive then back on at random points. At one point though they just turned off and never turned back on.

Here is a list of what I know DOESNT work:
-Instrument Cluster/Gauges (though blink indicator lights still work)
-Air conditioner
-Windows
-Radio
-Headlights (though these may have burnt out

And the rest of my truck still seems to function fine, like my brake lights, blinkers, engine, wipers, etc. I ran a continuity test on all of the fuses and everything beeped, but I replaced 90% of the fuses anyways and still nothing.

I'm not much of a mechanic myself, especially on the electric side of things, so any pointers would be a lot of help.

My truck is a 2005 Ford Expedition XLT V8 5.4L

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest if you have a sunroof the front right drain is leaking. That drain runs down the A pillar. You can open the sunroof and look into the corners to see the ~3/16" drains. Use some lawn trimmer string to push through the drain and see if it's plugged up. If you don't have a sunroof check to see if the roof rack is leaking. The other possibility I suppose is the windshield.

I would disconnect the battery and then remove the fuse box, aka central junction box, to inspect it for corrosion. Also check the ground connection to the body at the fuse box. it sounds like this issue is not new so corrosion is a real possibility.

This thread has lots of great info for the fuse box:

This is for a 2004, but shows the connectors to disconnect, yours will be very similar. There's also a few nuts/bolts.
1715046844307.png

odessa

Reaction score
My '03 has a sunroof, but the source of my similar leak was at the windshield upper gasket. Leakage on both sides in heavy rain. There are longitudinal channels running the length of the roof an inch or so outboard of the roof rack. Where the channels run under the upper windshield gasket, I blasted a large amount of debris out with compressed air. Lift the gasket all the way across as you do this. Then fill this space with silicone sealant. Leak gone.
You will still need to look at and fix/replace the electronic parts at the fuse box under the right side of the dashboard.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes the washer hose to the rear washer comes apart. It will siphon all the washer fluid out of the reservoir. That hose runs right behind the passenger side kick panel where the fuse box is located and that's where it gets disconnected. Check under the passenger door sill where a lot of wires run. If it's full of washer fluid, there's your problem.

Dryer Dave

Reaction score
I have an 03 EXP and live in the northern plains. My panel around the fuse box (wheel well) is gone due to rot. I can see the road under the fuse box. Could be an issue with yours as well depending on where you live

OP
OP
F

flex

Reaction score
Thank you for all the helpful replies. I had taken my truck to a mechanic that specializes in electric and he found that the fuse box was indeed gone, too much corrosion damage and internal damage. Spent $200 on getting it replaced and he said most of the error codes are gone but the instrument cluster has to be replaced now as well, possibly died from low power for too long (called it like brownout or something?). Working on getting this replaced next.

I don't have a sunroof but I'll check the windshield gasket and clean that out, hopefully it'll help the leak issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt