2005 Ford expedition limited sport trac rear passenger weird noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Expo ppl
My ford expedition just started making weird clunking / grinding/ metal popping noises from the passenger side rear wheel area. It's not a steady noise it comes and goes. But when the sound does occur its loud to the point everyone looks at my truck like wtf. I took the wheel off and everything seems to be intact. No play on the rotor and the brake caliper seems fine. Ive read it could be lower control arm/ bushings heat sheild on top of the drive shaft or rear diff. If it is the rear diff i have a 2003 pos xlt 4.6 that i can pull and use it on my 2005 5.4 if thats possible .. All and any insight is appreciated.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your going to have to rack it up, and dig a little deeper. A rear control arm, like a front will clunk Everytime, not just sometimes.shake down everything in that corner, shock/strut, rock around the axle, brake caliper. You might want to pull the r/rear brake assembly apart. The small emergency brake shoes fall apart, and cause noise.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Jstekk

Reaction score
I have a really loud clamoring noise from the back of my vehicle sounds like my exhaust is slapping the frame but it's kind of scary because it's so loud and I think it might be something big is there any way that anybody can help me tell me what it is please. I'm a disabled veteran, and I need my vehicle if I lose it I could pass away in the process of trying to find a new one and I don't have any money saved up I just got this vehicle after a crash surprisingly enough I had $3200 saved in my bank then, and now I don't have any money at all because it's immediately after I spent it on this vehicle, and this is the end of my life if anything bad happens, I can't walk and I have no liver. And I only make $800 a month. And I had no friends or family. Please comment with your ideas on what the loud clamoring noise in the back of the vehicle is. Almost sounds a Powerball hamster wheel with odd metal parts inside of the powerballs, like two powerballs.