2005 Leveling kit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spize909

Reaction score
I searched around a little and didn't find the answer I was looking for.
I recently purchased an '05 with about 140000 miles on it, pretty clean and rides great. It was my in-laws so I know how it was treated.
Anyway........I purchased a leveling kit for it and read through the directions and watched a video or 2 as well. My question is, would it be easier to get a coil compressor tool in there to compress the coils instead of disassembling a bunch of the front end?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure I haven't looked into that at all. It seems that if it's just the spacer block style of leveling kit that goes on top of the strut there should be enough room if you remove the strut and take the sway bar off. Put the spacer on the strut and reinstall. I hate cheap coil spring compressors, they are just always a pain to deal with.

One thing I have found is that I never could get the sway bar end links loose from the lower control arm without using an impact wrench. With a ratchet the stud just turns.

OP
OP
S

spize909

Reaction score
So I started on the rear and with the spacer on the top of the strut and at full droop (Axle is hitting the axle tunnel) I am still 1/2" away from getting the strut bolt though the lower control arm. Spring compressor is the only answer I see at this point?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah short removing the cv axle or the wheel hub so the axle can be moved, a spring compressor is the only way I can think of. Good luck with the spring compressor, the individual bolt style can be so frustrating to work with. They often times just like to pop off the spring as you start tightening them. I definitely suggest a strap of some sort, like a ratchet strap or something similar, wrapped around the compressor fixtures so they don't come loose and pop ya in the forehead. I often learn things the hardway, this is the result of one of those instances. :-(

OP
OP
S

spize909

Reaction score
Well that was a ****. I did get a loaner strut spring compressor from Vatozone and used it on the first one and it really didn't help that much. In the end what it took was a pipe to leverage the control arms down and a 5' 2x4 and/or a floor jack to push the strut end up to meet the mount in the control arm. I did the second side without the compressors. 2 people is a must...3 would have been either better! I've watched a video and the guy said the front was way easier. Looks like a bunch more stuff comes apart but I'm hoping for the best. Tomorrow........

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the rear done and good luck with the front. Sounds like a PITA for sure.

Certainly makes rear leaf springs look easy.

OP
OP
S

spize909

Reaction score
Congrats on getting the rear done and good luck with the front. Sounds like a PITA for sure.

Certainly makes rear leaf springs look easy.
It's raining here now........I'm gonna call a couple local places and if the price is right I'll let them do it!

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what happens if you go full droop driving down the road? Axle hits axle tunnel and wrecks the CV joint/bends the axle/other carnage??

OP
OP
S

spize909

Reaction score
So what happens if you go full droop driving down the road? Axle hits axle tunnel and wrecks the CV joint/bends the axle/other carnage??
I don't think that will happen. Could, but I don't think the impact would be enough. The axles are pretty stout. I guess we'll see.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@spize909 you should not need a spring compressor to install the coilovers (with lift spacers). You only need a spring compressor to install new shocks. For the rear, I used a pry bar to help get the lower control arm to get low enough to fit the coilover (with the new spacer). The coilovers would not have fit into the towers if I had the spring compressor attached to them.
Or maybe I don't understand what you are up against. I looked around a little and found a video on Youtube -- search Stage 3 Motorsports Expedition - you will find a video that might give you some ideas. The rear on the Exp they worked on has the 2007+ suspension, which is a little different but similar enough.