2006 License Plate Light Sockets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sixgun

Reaction score
I am kinda surprised to not find this already mentioned. One of my license plate light sockets (the pigtail) needs replacement. It has 4 wires coming out of it. Ford sells only the harness, with both sockets and 2 plugs, for about $100......and the pictured harness only has 2 wires to each socket. Has anybody replaced these 4-wire sockets before?

Attachments

• License Plate Socket (1).jpeg
    License Plate Socket (1).jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 3
  • License Plate Socket (2).jpeg
    License Plate Socket (2).jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's just 4-wire on one side right ? The other side is a 2-wire right ? That's just how Ford ran the two lights. The black is just a ground and the brown feeds power. So you can get a 2 wire socket and use butt connectors to splice the connection so both sides operate correctly. I'll attach the wiring diagram so you can see what I mean.

Ford License Tag Pigtails on eBay

Attachments

• 2003+ Expedition_Exterior Lamps Circuit.pdf
    113.1 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
S

Sixgun

Reaction score
That makes sense. Haven't removed the other side to see. That would explain how the Ford replacement part is only 2 wires.....maybe they just re-engineered the routing. The next thing I was going to do is check power at the wires. 2 hots would tend to prove you right! Thanks!