2007 Expedition EL. Just took delivery. Gas shocker!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fenster

Reaction score
Ok,

Well after doing a lot of careful shopping, we finally took delivery of a fully loaded 2007 Eddie Bauer Expedition EL. (38K miles) - 5.4 V8 - We absolutely love it.

We didnt do much driving around yesterday, I would say it was 70% local driving and 30% highway, but the mileage on the dash said we were averaging 8.8 miles per gallon!

I'm definitely going KNN filter, and sythetic oil but this was shocking. I was really hoping to get 12-13 city. Any clue why? I wasn't stepping on the gas pedal heavy at intersections? And on the highway I averaged around 60mph.

Any thoughts---? Thanks!

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah my 05 did do better around town but not by much. Since the EL is a lot heavier the gas mileage is not going to be great. Kind of why I waited for 2010 with the six speed tranny. I now average 12/13 around town and 17/18 on the highway.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An intake is going to do nothing dont waste your money. Your best bet will be to get a custom tune but its not worth it imo.

Steps

Reaction score
I think a combination of an Intake, Custom Tune, and Exhaust IS worth the time. It is the combination of the three put together that will help.

A lot of folks will argue that the cost of parts to improve mileage will take a long time to pay for themselves. I don't look at it that way. The parts are not for mileage alone...if you doing any towing, off road driving, etc you will see benefits as well.

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 07 has the 6 speed transmission. The wife drives ours and averages 14 city and I drive it when we go on trips and I get 17 towing my sled trailer and 19 unloaded going 80, I can get over 20 if I slow down to 70.

Did you factor the MPG by hand? Reset the MPG calculator and see if it changes.

OP
OP
F

Fenster

Reaction score
I will reset it and do it manually because 8.8 mpg or whatever it was very shocking. I wasn't expecting Prius numbers lol but double digits atleast. I'm going to fill it up, and write down the mileage and track it vs the internal computer.

Do you guys use regular (.87) gas?

thanks for the input

Chrysler79

Reaction score
I've found the computer is on the low side. On a long trip at 65-70 it was saying I was at 14.6. It was closer to 17. Try resetting it, and after you fill up just do it by hand.

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
87 for us...I've noticed the CPU to be a bit lower as well than actual.

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07 El Limited. Remember to reset the computer at the actual fill up so you get a true starting point. I removed the roof rack cross bars. If no head wind I can get a solid 19, with four adults and luggage for a long weekend. If bad winds it will cut it down to 16-17

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who really cares if it's 13 or 14 around town, we did not by these SUV's to get good mileage, it's all about the look, comfort for the family and power! The intakes and exhaust are all fun, but don't buy them with the excuse it's for mileage as they really only help the engine breathing at higher RPM's. The cost clearly outweighs any mileage benefits. My engine is rarely over 1,700 RPM even when on the freeway. K&N's dyno tests are above 3,800 RPM, unless you run around in second gear all day who does that? However the sucking sound and deep exhaust note certainly add to the cool factor!