2007+ Head unit into 2006 Limited w/ Rear entertainment screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCalStig

Reaction score
Good morning all! I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to install a head unit from a 2007 (and up) Expedition into a 2006 or earlier (especially one that has the factory rear seat entertainment system). The reason I ask this is because I would really like to be able to add an aux port like the 2007 and up have into my 2006 Limited, but still want the keep the rear DVD player working to keep my son happy on long drives. Would it be a basic plug and play (along with drilling a hole for the 3.5mm plug)?

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing anyone's thoughts on this.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know but have you thought about a Bluetooth adapter, the kind that broadcasts a radio signal to your dash unit?

You could use that to play music from your phone. I used to do that it worked real well and also used it for phone calls until I bought an Android head unit.

just an idea

OP
OP
S

SoCalStig

Reaction score
Brian,
The idea is more for my old iPod classic than for my phone. I've got one of those RF transmitters that plugs into the power port that i use, but was just hoping for something a little better.

Looking at 2006 vs. 2007 head units for sale on ebay (just so I can compare the size of them based on photos)I don't think that my original thought above would work. The 2006 head unit appears to be about 1-1/2 DIN, while the 2007 appears to be double DIN. I've got the stock double DIN unit in my 2007 Fusion, so I can measure them both tonight, but looks like I may be out of luck for what I was hoping.