2007 Radio Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motorpsycho911

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Has anyone put an after market radio into a 2007 Expedition? I just talked to a guy from Tweeter they said the harness is $80 wowsers... Any one have picks or details about thier install.

Thanks

OP
OP
M

motorpsycho911

Reaction score
No I don't have the DVD package. I'm trying to put in my Kenwood 7015 but I want TO keep the factory sub and the Sirius hookup.

Has anyone removed the radio or speakers in an 07 yet? any tips/directions on how to ge the radio out and door panel off?

Last edited:

trpltongue

Reaction score
motorpsycho911,

I'll answer your question in a second, but first let me clarify a couple of things. I just installed a Kenwood dnx7100 in my march 2007 built limited EL.

First:

You will *most likely* NOT loose factory dvd function if you replace the head unit. The dvd will still play fine and the wireless headphones will work fine. You will not hear the movie over the speakers though. My factory dvd works as described above even with the factory head unit removed. Having said that, there have been some reports that other 07's lost the dvd functionality when the stock head unit was removed. The easiest way to test is to remove the factory radio and try the DVD :)

Second:
To remove the factory radio, use a paint can opener or some other dull object to pull out the lower trim panel on the center console (just below the aux plug and cig lighter). It is a pita to remove but it does just pull out. Once that is removed you can remove the trim around the radio by pulling forcefully from the bottom and working your way up. Again, a PITA, but it does just pull out. Once the trim is removed, there are 4 hex head screws to remove and then simply pull the radio out.

Third:
There is no Acc power in the factory wiring harness. There are 2 options to optain acc power for your new radio.
Option 1)The easiest and most expensive is to use Metra Part number XSVI-5520 which will give you an acc power as well as the standard radio wiring inputs. You simply connect the wires from the Metra to your new radio and then plug the metra connectors into the factory connectors. If you have a factory subwoofer you will also need part number 70-5522 to retain the use of the factory sub.
Option 2) The slightly more difficult, but much cheaper option is to use metra part number 70-5520 (without subwoofer) or 70-5521 (with subwoofer). Both of these will have an acc power wire in them, but it will not tie into anything in the factory harness. To get acc power, tie into Fuse 41 in the passenger kick panel. You can either solder a wire directly to the rear leg of the fuse, or you can use one of these:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/FUSE_TAP_ATC_SPADE_SMALL_MINI_p_2096.html
or these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-585

Again, you will want to tie into the rear leg of the fuse. It will show 0V when the car is off and 0V when the car is on.

Fourth:
The Metra 2-din install kit is 95-5812, the single din install kit is 99-5812. However, the double din doesn't fit in our new 2007 expeditions out of the box. The rear tabs hit the metal bracing of the center console, so you'll have to cut them off. In addition, the kit comes with plastic spacers that you WILL use to make the kit line up with the trim. The antenna adapter is Metra 40-CR10.

Fifth:
You can use a PAC steering wheel control interface to integrate your factory steering wheel controls with your aftermarket deck. Nothing too difficult here except to note that the steering wheel control wire is pin 18 in the 24 pin connector. PAC has vehicle specific instructions on their web page that work perfectly.

Sixth:
If you are installing a backup camera you can find the reverse wire under the passenger door sill plate in the massive group of wires there. The sill plate simply pulls up. There are no screws holding it in place. The reverse wire is green/brown and will show 12V when the vehicle is in reverse only. There are 2 identical green/brown wires in the bundle. I'm assuming 1 goes to each of the backup lamps but I'm not certain so make sure you test before you install.

Seventh:
The VSS wire (for navigation systems) is not in the radio connector. To get the VSS you can either look for yellow/blue in the wire harness going to the wiper moter, or in the PCM under the hood on the passenger side at connection B, pin 63. The wiper motor is easier :) You can then route the wire back into the cabin through any of the firewall grommets.

Eighth,
You can reuse the factory XM antenna. You simply remove the plastic boot on the connector and it is exactly like a standard xm antenna connector. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly where it is located :)

From my own experience, I soldered all the connections from the new radio to the metra harness and that took a while, but was worth it. The actual dash disassembly and new radio installation took all of 30 minutes, mostly because I was testing wires etc. There is a TON of space behind the radio so you can easily fit bluetooth adapters, steering wheel control boxes, etc back there.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I hope that helps out.

Russell

Last edited:

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow this was an awesome step by step. Does someone out there have something similar for the previous models?

PaisanNYC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by trpltongue
Seventh:
The VSS wire (for navigation systems) is not in the radio connector. To get the VSS you can either look for yellow/blue in the wire harness going to the wiper moter, or in the PCM under the hood on the passenger side at connection B, pin 63. The wiper motor is easier :) You can then route the wire back into the cabin through any of the firewall grommets.

Are you sure about this? I have a 2004 Expo XLT, came with the standard 6 cd changer, no navi, no subwoofer. When I had my aftermarket nav unit installed, the installer showed me that there was a VSS at the radio harness. He hooked it up for me, and its been working great since. I am getting positive results on the Speed Pulse screen of my navi also.

trpltongue

Reaction score
Absolutely positive. The 2007 is entirely different as they moved to the can-bus system and vss is no longer at the radio harness. I've had multiple independant installers confirm this as well as Metra. The VSS is nowhere to be found.

carrot

Reaction score
Looks like Metra has an adapter to keep the DVD working and also use AUX in to an aftermarket unit. I might try this myself.. But seems like I'll need about 150$ worth of Metra adapters...

1 -
Metra Electronics Corp. 70-5522
04-Up Ford Sub plug

2 -
Metra Electronics Corp. AFDI-RSE-01
Ford Rear Seat Entertainment Retention Interface

3 -
Metra Electronics Corp. XSVI-5520-NAV
Non - amplified interface harness that retains accessory power and provides navigation output wires.

Anybody tried all this together with a Kenwood unit? Although I think I won't be able to trigger the start of the DVD anymore with selecting "DVD" at the front.

Not sure also how I could run the wire from the AUX OUT to the rear entertainment system (but not needed).