200K--what needs to be done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccso139

Reaction score
Will be taking in my 2003 Expedition in the next few days. Just bought it about 1.5 months ago and haven't had time to get it to mechanic for once over. It runs/drives great, but there are a few smaller issue (doors rattle, door ajar light stays on, etc). But are there any major 100k/200k services that need to be done? It was a patrol vehicle, so I'd assume all previous services were done as needed?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably the driver's door jamb switch just needs to be replaced. It's the most common to fail on the Expy. That'll get rid of your Door Ajar message and fix the associated issues with that. I'd use a synthetic 10w-30 oil in the motor. A tranny flush if it hasn't been done before. Lower ball joints if they haven't been replaced already. That's about it unless you see some outstanding issues that need attention.

Gen2 Expedition Door Jamb Switch ....

DS-1506_Front__ra_p.jpg

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With that many miles, I usually tell people to put it on a lift and do a good assessment of corrosion. Even with a mild environment and being garaged, there are spots that have a tendency to corrode. The inner and out rocker panels will corrode from the inside out. They will look fine, but one day you will push on the paint with your finger and find no metal behind the paint. The lower radiator support where it attaches to the frame will holds water and rusts out. The frame cross members above and behind the transmission can also hold water. Finally, the spot/pinch weld above and behind the rear tires. If they start to corrode, they will mushroom, letting water in and causing more corrosion.

Mechanically, consider the struts, suspension parts, steering linkage. Ball joints, rubber, and bushings. These are 300-400K engines. I did a complete teardown and rebuild at 250K. I can tell you that with regular oil changes the internals were good. I check the crank for wear to see if I needed oversized bearings and there was less than .0005 wear. The one lubrication problem that seems common is the cam journals on the passenger side. It is at the end of the chain and if the oil path gets block, it doesn't get good lubrication. My cams were worn out of limits and needed to be replaced.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All Fluids and filters, belt , hoses, a basic shake down, check brakes and tires, and fix any known issues. Yes those darn door ajar. And a good paint correction if needed. Just basics no need to over do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker