2011 head unit replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000GM

Reaction score
I plan to replace the stock head unit in the 2011 XLT we just picked up. Base sytem, no sub, no DVD, has SYNC and rear audio controls. We have a nice Kenwood touch screen/DVD head unit we took out of our Explorer before trading it in, along with the iPod adapter and XM tuner/adapter.

Obviously there will be no more SYNC system, but we won't miss any of its functions, because of the Kenwood's integrated iPod and XM setup.

However, am I wrong to assume that with the ASWC converter, the rest of the steering wheel audio controls will still work, or will I need something else to maintain them? Also, there should be a straight-forward wiring harness adapter too, right? I don't want to assume the adapter from my 2006 Explorer will work, but if it will that would be a bonus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2000GM

2000GM

Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting that when you look for available wire harness adapters for a 2011 Expy with sync/ no sub to install an aftermarket head unit it says no products are available. Well there's a $200 kit that will work but it's to maintain all the sync functions to work with the new head unit.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be buying a new Pioneer AVH-P8400bh in a couple of weeks and installing it in my 2011 EL XLT. I would be very interested to hear and see how the final install. I too am a little confused as to how harness to use with the Sync function w/O factory amp or sub needs. Looking forward to more updates from you on this.

OP
OP
2000GM

2000GM

Reaction score
Ok so for the hell of it I removed the factory head unit and the adapter harness that was used to put the Kenwood in the '06 Explorer snapped right in place to the factory plug. Through trial and error I found that the only thing not making it to/from the Kenwood is switched 12V power. The wire for that which would have been there in the '06 was not there.

By connecting the Kenwoods switched power in wire to the constant power wire made it work 100%. Then of course the Kenwood would need to be powered on every time you get in, and off every time you get out of the truck. So I need to find a switched 12v (only gets power when ignition is on) source to tap into.

I found a picture of a wiring diagram for an 08 that showed a gray/violet wire in pin slot #15 that was ignition-switched power. Sure enough there it was. However switching the ignition on did NOT liven that wire.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 gm - did you happen to notice if your stock stereo still had the sub output on the back or if the wiring harness was already hooked up and possibly running back to where the factory sub would go. I can not seem to find an answer for this anywhere and would like to just add the factory sub if possible. If the wiring is there already, it would be easy. My Kenwood touch screen is still sitting in a box and I am trying to decide if i want to install it. Expy will be going to the wife in a few months, and she was not real fond of that stereo - but the factory definitely needs some lower end in it. two dealerships and lots of internet searching - I have not found the answer, and don't want to pull panels unnecessarily.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will lose steering wheel controls and will need to buy PAC steering wheel adapter

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know how different the 2011 is from the 2008, so I hope this helps.

I changed out the head unit in my 2008. I had to run a fused wire to a switched lead in the fuse box.

I also installed the PAC unit to save the steering wheel controls. Took a little trial and error, but the PAC unit works better than expected with my Kenwood unit.

I did buy everything from Crutchfield.com. They are a little pricey, but their technical assistance and customer service are more than worth the extra cash I paid.

OP
OP
2000GM

2000GM

Reaction score
2000 gm - did you happen to notice if your stock stereo still had the sub output on the back or if the wiring harness was already hooked up and possibly running back to where the factory sub would go. I can not seem to find an answer for this anywhere and would like to just add the factory sub if possible. If the wiring is there already, it would be easy. My Kenwood touch screen is still sitting in a box and I am trying to decide if i want to install it. Expy will be going to the wife in a few months, and she was not real fond of that stereo - but the factory definitely needs some lower end in it. two dealerships and lots of internet searching - I have not found the answer, and don't want to pull panels unnecessarily.

There are 2 plugs in the back of my stock head unit. One larger one (which the adapter from our 2006 Explorer clicks right into, but a couple of the wires are different) and one smaller one. I'm not sure which wired are for the factory sub (mine has no sub anyways) but those are the only wire connections at the back other than the antenna. I'm not sure on a truck with no sub if any of those wires contained in those 2 plugs are just unused and would go to the sub if the truck had one, but there are a few empty slots in each one...so maybe the wires aren't there, but would be in those slots.

My truck does not have heated seats. My plan, going back to my last post above, was to tap off of the heated second row seat fuse in the passenger's footwell fuse box. I haven't tested the circut, but I assume ot only has power when the ignition is on. This would complete my install, along with the steering wheel control converter.....

BUT........

My wife has decided she wants to keep the SYNC, mainly for the bluetooth but also for some of the other voice commands she's gotten used to using. I KNEW that was going to happen lol. So I ordered the PAC kit that maintains the SYNC functions and plays the SYNC audio voice through the aftermarket head unit's aux input. We'll see how that goes.

I have not found the answer, and don't want to pull panels unnecessarily
It's actually very easy. The panel around the head unit has 4 main clips. I started gently prying at the bottom of it below the 12v power outlet. If you take your time and work your fingertips around the outside it will pop off. If any of the 4 metal clips stay in the dashboard make sure you pop them out and place them back on the tabs on the back side of the panel before you put the panel back in place. Once the panel is off there is enough slack in the HVAC controls wiring to move the panel aside, and then it's just the typical Ford 4 9/32 screws holding the head unit in.