2012 Expedition question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rnight2002

Reaction score
I have a question for other expedition owners. I was driving in the snow and slush today went to put the truck in park and it would not go into park. I drove to ford dealership, needless to say they told me it was ice build up. I call BS, has anyone else had this problem.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've driven quite a bit in ice and snow with my '12 LTD and never experienced what you describe. Worst problem I've had is snow caking inside the rims and throwing the balance off.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have had this happen on more then one ford truck. not a new expedition but both my older expedition, excursion and explorer. extended driving in wet or slushy deep snow has caused ice/slush build up and not allowed it to go into park and made any other gears very hard to get it into. after getting under the truck and clearing it away from the shift linkage on the side of the tranny it was all smooth.

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when its dry under there spray the cable end by the trans with a spray grease and that should keep it from freezing

Photographer417

Reaction score
Photographer417

Just brought my 1st Expedition EL after 5 Suburbans...same thing just happened to me on slushy road Summit County Colorado. Stopped and could not shift into reverse without a lot of force....this never happened with the Suburbans and I spend a lot of time in the snow!

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's actually a problem for anyone who lives in the upper 1/2 of the US, or cold, snowy areas. In fact, Ford is so aware of the problem, there's a TSB explaining how to fix, and they've even come out w/a dedicated part to prevent the snow and ice from building up there.
It happened to me this past winter... I have pics of the ice build up, as well as the part they installed, but they're on my phone, I'll find tomorrow, if anyone is interested. Oh, and the entire repair, tow to dealer included was on me. Ridiculous...

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd like to see the pics, Rick. This issue is the first I've heard of it. In my part of VA, it's rare we get enough snow to cause problems. But there are times when either we actually do get something, or I travel to where there is snow.

Is this something that happens after days or months of being in the snow?

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry for delay, here are pics... first one is the ice block, build-up. It actually surrounds the driveshaft, and freezes the shifter linkage. So when you try to put car into park, it wont go. Nor will it go into nuetral, or much of anything...

ice_zps8d4bb55a.jpg
[/IMG]

2nd pic is the little piece of metal, I guess designed so that the ice will not build up there.

noice_zps9a6dfae9.jpg
[/IMG]

Again, kind of ridiculous that Ford knows of problem, but won't do a recall. Will oly fix if you tow your car to them... on YOUR dime.

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd like to see the pics, Rick. This issue is the first I've heard of it. In my part of VA, it's rare we get enough snow to cause problems. But there are times when either we actually do get something, or I travel to where there is snow.

Is this something that happens after days or months of being in the snow?

And to answer this question... nope, was one night driving along. a pretty snowy night for sure, alot of snow on ground. But again, what kind of design flaw would allow a full size, 4WD SUV to allow snow & slush build up? Ford, are you listening? Google Ford TSB 10-24-7, this lists F150's, but it affects us, Navigators & Raptors, as well. Would think the F150 is def one of their cash cow's too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1