2015 Expedition Engine Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's Expedition developed a slight rattle yesterday morning, which quickly developed into the attached noise. It sounds like it's coming from the timing chain. I'm planning on getting it to Ford this afternoon. This isn't like the "startup tick" that people describe at all. It also isn't pulling any codes, surprisingly. 84k miles. What are your thoughts?

Mike

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The general thought of why the chain Stretch happens on some EcoBoosts is because Ford used a single timing chain in these years for both banks. The 5.4 V8 for example has a twin timing chain setup (1 chain for each bank). When you put a lot of torque on one chain it can stretch excessively over time and miles. If this is the issue they will likely to the standard timing job with new chain and tensioners etc. I’m not an expert on these engines so it may be something I’m not considering.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh damn, that sure doesn't sound good. What does the oil change history look like? Just curious.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A diagnostic at Ford dealer is ok, but if you're gonna have them perform the work too, I sincerely hope the truck is on warranty... if not, bring yourself some Vaseline. :(

I'd bring it to a shop or a guy who specializes in fixing pickup trucks (F150s).

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The general thought of why the chain Stretch happens on some EcoBoosts is because Ford used a single timing chain in these years for both banks. The 5.4 V8 for example has a twin timing chain setup (1 chain for each bank). When you put a lot of torque on one chain it can stretch excessively over time and miles. If this is the issue they will likely to the standard timing job with new chain and tensioners etc. I’m not an expert on these engines so it may be something I’m not considering.

That's lovely. More proof that as time goes on, they are built cheaper and cheaper, with planned obsolescence in mind.

There go all the fuel savings over the "gas guzzling" 5.4L Triton, all in one shot!

:mad:

OP
OP
G

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's at the dealer that I bought it from, so we'll see what their diagnosis is (no ESP). My bet is they'll want to drop a new engine in rather than a timing set. I watched a YouTube video on how to do this job, so I'm basically a mechanic now. I think I can do it. Seriously though, this may not be beyond my capability rather than just drop a new engine in.....$1,000 in parts and tools. The gamble would be if it caused any other damage to the engine that I won't know about until the job is done.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's at the dealer that I bought it from, so we'll see what their diagnosis is (no ESP). My bet is they'll want to drop a new engine in rather than a timing set. I watched a YouTube video on how to do this job, so I'm basically a mechanic now. I think I can do it. Seriously though, this may not be beyond my capability rather than just drop a new engine in.....$1,000 in parts and tools. The gamble would be if it caused any other damage to the engine that I won't know about until the job is done.

If they diagnose as the chain you can likely just do the timing set. As long as the chain didn’t let a valve meet a piston short block and heads ok. If you do so it would be great to have an EcoBoost write up on here, most have it done by the dealers so Expy owners haven’t gotten much owner insight yet. If not desired....totally understandable lol.

Last edited: