2015 Expedition Engine Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the dealer called tonight and said it is actually the water pump that let go. The cost isn’t much better though. They quoted $1900 for the pump and flush. They also quoted $600 for a leaking vacuum brake booster pump. I can do that myself though, and will. They are going to work the numbers and see if they can get the cost down a bit before I agree to anything. At least it’s not the chain! I can see why the pump would make a racket in that area though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, interesting that’s some $$$ for a water pump.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's outrageous for a water pump.. I just did the pump on my '16, it's external, not internal like most people seem to think. The motorcraft pump was like $80 from Rock Auto and you're replacing most of the coolant anyway since you have to drain the radiator before hand and half the coolant in the engine barfs out of the hoses and waterpump when you remove it. It's really not that bad of a job if you've wrenched on a car before. Even if you don't do it yourself, call around to other shops, it shouldn't be more than a few hours of labor.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Doing the water pump on a 15-17 is 1/2 hour job. An hour if you're putzing around. Like MidwestBoater said, the pump itself is cheap too. The only thing that takes any time is pulling the turbo tubes off to get to it.

20180804_193234.jpg

OP
OP
G

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing the water pump on a 15-17 is 1/2 hour job. An hour if you're putzing around. Like MidwestBoater said, the pump itself is cheap too. The only thing that takes any time is pulling the turbo tubes off to get to it.

View attachment 33533

I see that now. It must have been the older ones that were harder. If they don’t come back with a heck of a deal today, I’ll be doing it myself. It doesn’t look hard at all.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right?!! That’s a bit of labor though. You are almost to the chain when you get the water pump out.

On transverse EcoBoosts like the Taurus and Explorer it’s extremely difficult to change the water pump. On RWD it’s not as bad, I’m wondering if they even popped your hood and saw it’s a regular pump.

OP
OP
G

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, they lowered it to $1700. This includes the water pump, new degas bottle and hose (do we have a degas??? I thought it was a recovery tank) and coolant flush. If I replace all of that myself, it's about $500. They said the 'degas' was leaking too. They also said the brake booster vacuum pump is leaking, but I can definitely do that myself. 3 bolts. They wanted $600 for it and it's an $80 part. I'll probably be doing all of it myself in an afternoon. There's not much to it. The only thing stopping me from letting them know that I'll be picking it up this afternoon is that they are working with the used car department, whom I bought it from 3 months ago, to see if they will be willing to work with us on it. They have a 90 day 'warranty'.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
So, they lowered it to $1700. This includes the water pump, new degas bottle and hose (do we have a degas??? I thought it was a recovery tank) and coolant flush. If I replace all of that myself, it's about $500. They said the 'degas' was leaking too. They also said the brake booster vacuum pump is leaking, but I can definitely do that myself. 3 bolts. They wanted $600 for it and it's an $80 part. I'll probably be doing all of it myself in an afternoon. There's not much to it. The only thing stopping me from letting them know that I'll be picking it up this afternoon is that they are working with the used car department, whom I bought it from 3 months ago, to see if they will be willing to work with us on it. They have a 90 day 'warranty'.
They should be covering all that by the sounds of it IMO. "Degas bottle" and "recovery tank" terms are used pretty interchangeably. The tank is part of your air cleaner box. You can buy one of those used off somewhere like "car-part.com" unless you really want to buy a new one.