2016 Loud Electric Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sully14324

Reaction score
My new '16 Expedition has an extremely loud electric fan when it is hot outside (90*+). I talked to a friend who has a '16 Navigator and he has the same complaint. I have never had this on my previous Expeditions ('99, '06, '11). Does anyone know of a fix for this?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My new '16 Expedition has an extremely loud electric fan when it is hot outside (90*+). I talked to a friend who has a '16 Navigator and he has the same complaint. I have never had this on my previous Expeditions ('99, '06, '11). Does anyone know of a fix for this?

I ordered and bought a new 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4. I live in the Midwest and we've had very hot and humid weather, often 95 degrees F or higher with very high humidity.

The electric cooling fans on my Expediton were so loud while the a/c was operating that I was very concerned and took it to the selling dealer for service. I was told the noise was normal - but that there was a bulletin to reprogram the HVAC controller (which was done). The roaring and loud fan noise did not change.

With the engine and a/c operating, the "roar" noise of the fans sounds bad. I felt one or both fan motor bearings were going bad, but the dealer said they were normal. While gassing the vehicle, I have had several people nearby comment that there was something wrong with my vehicle (I leave the engine running while fueling in extremely hot weather if there are other occupants inside).

I have owned numerous cars with electric cooling fans and this is without a doubt the loudest fan noise I have ever had. I have owned GM and Dodge vehicles for decades and this was my first Ford.

JakeEL

Reaction score
Same thing on my 2015 EL. Tripped me out at the beginning, but then I realized after seeing a few others doing it that it was normal. Once you start driving and get air flowing it seems to shut the "high speed" fans off. I'm surprised ford hasn't released a statement saying that its normal cause I'm sure it scares a lot of people.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got an '11 and have the same issue. In a parts replacing frenzy my local dealer replaced the blower (under warranty) and the sound went down very slightly. To top it all off I have a whistle that is almost certainly the result of a piece of that glued on foam coming loose inside the ducts.

Kwik SC

Reaction score
Chalk up another loud fan on a 2016 here as well. I figured it was normal as its REALLY hot outside so the fans have to be working hard to cool everything.

Alan Lloys

Reaction score
It is kind of unique that Ford has tied the AC into the electric fans.
My 2015 Expedition will do the same thing even when it is started up right away in the morning if I have the AC on. They are cooling the AC condenser that is in front by the radiator.

Even though it surprised me a bit I know why they did it. This way you get optimum AC even if you are parked or in stop and go traffic.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You wouldn't believe how loud the Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) is on a hot day with the AC going. You can barely talk over it if standing outside of it.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my new 2016 for a week now. Same noisy fan issue, even when first started. I just turn up the radio real loud...
brick

Kwik SC

Reaction score
It is kind of unique that Ford has tied the AC into the electric fans.
My 2015 Expedition will do the same thing even when it is started up right away in the morning if I have the AC on. They are cooling the AC condenser that is in front by the radiator.

Even though it surprised me a bit I know why they did it. This way you get optimum AC even if you are parked or in stop and go traffic.

Every car that has an electric fan is tied to the AC. That's the high and low speed part of the fan usually. All you're hearing is the high speed part. That IS how the AC stays cold while stopped or idling.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is about the fan controlling INTERIOR air, not the radiator/transmission fan, right! ;)

On my 12, the fan and AC do whatever they can to cool the car on a hot day. The noise is annoying, but after about 5 minutes the fan speed decreases some and within 10 minutes, it's not audible. Sure wish I'd gotten a remote start for hot days!