2017 Expedition Electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verna2197

Reaction score
Something is going on with my Expedition. I have a handicap lift attached and the wiring was done by a certified handicap business. Anyway for some reason my truck thinks I have a trailer attached. It beeps constantly saying something about brake light, plus still having problems with tow/haul not working, if someone sets in passenger seat and forgets to fasten seat built there is no reminder that comes up. Then the other day I was driving home, I was talking on the phone thry bluetooth and my display went completely black for a few seconds then the Ford Emblem showed up and then finally the display came back, the person I had been talking to was still there calling my name. This vehicle is really starting to freak me out. Getting scared it might catch on fire or somethiing while I am in it. Anyone else having electrical problems?

Verna Sue

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it's worth Verna, I've got 32,000 miles on my '17 and it hasn't had a single hiccup....electrical or otherwise so I think the suggestion to return to your installer is the wise path.

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is going on with my Expedition. I have a handicap lift attached and the wiring was done by a certified handicap business. Anyway for some reason my truck thinks I have a trailer attached. It beeps constantly saying something about brake light, plus still having problems with tow/haul not working, if someone sets in passenger seat and forgets to fasten seat built there is no reminder that comes up. Then the other day I was driving home, I was talking on the phone thry bluetooth and my display went completely black for a few seconds then the Ford Emblem showed up and then finally the display came back, the person I had been talking to was still there calling my name. This vehicle is really starting to freak me out. Getting scared it might catch on fire or somethiing while I am in it. Anyone else having electrical problems?

Verna Sue
Verna, My assumption would be that the Certified Handicap installation business screwed something up. Ford will disavow any responsibility so you have to take it back to them and tell them you didn't have these problems before their installation and then see if they stand behind their work.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No electrical problem.

Your installer half-assed it and tapped into trailer connections to power something.

While wiring supplementary lighting to trailer light connections WORKS, I'm guessing that whatever circuit they've got is pulling irregular amounts of power or has massive resistance or some other crap making the truck's computer thinking it is hooked up to a trailer with busted electricals.

Anyway, lift SHOULD have drawn power from the charger/cig socket in the back or the power fold seat connection, not the trailer brake light...

They messed up

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Verna Sue

Don’t freak out your not going to catch on fire:D. I agree with the other users take it back to the installer and explain what you’ve been experiencing, remind them that these things never occurred until after they modified the vehicle.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every once in a while my screen will go black for a few seconds and come back. It would appear to me its rebooting. Doesn't happen very often. I would say its done it maybe 3 times in the last year or so. I don't think its anything to worry about.

As far as the trailer issues I agree with the others, take it back to the installer.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Verna, I live in Knoxville...let me know if you are nearby and I can help.