2017 Lost Coolant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay well it was in fact the water pump! I guess it just took my dealer a week to figure it out. I've been busy with going out of state for the races, the wife picked up the truck Friday. I need to go out and look at it, as I'm not sure if the pump on these are internal or externally driven. If its internal and leaks that would make since to me, about the white smoke "that dealer reported". Also if it is a internal driven water pump, should I be concerned with any internal damage to motor, from coolant leaking through?

The engine water pump is externally driven.

Amazing how it took your Ford dealer so much time to find a leaking water pump.

I had the same problem with my Ford dealer.

I’m glad you’ve found the leak and had it repaired.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The engine water pump is externally driven.

Amazing how it took your Ford dealer so much time to find a leaking water pump.

I had the same problem with my Ford dealer.

I’m glad you’ve found the leak and had it repaired.
Thanks for information. The water pump being external, doesn't explain the white smoke the dealer reported. When I went out to look at the truck, the coolant overflow bottle appeared empty! IDK weather to just top off and watch it, or take back to the dealer for a week or so again?

Update: there was enough coolant in the bottle to see that they used GREEN! IDK if thats a big deal or not, but for some reason the manual says to use orange?

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for information. The water pump being external, doesn't explain the white smoke the dealer reported. When I went out to look at the truck, the coolant overflow bottle appeared empty! IDK weather to just top off and watch it, or take back to the dealer for a week or so again?

Update: there was enough coolant in the bottle to see that they used GREEN! IDK if thats a big deal or not, but for some reason the manual says to use orange?

I know Motorcraft changed the recommended engine coolant for the 2015-2017 models. My 2015 was changed using the new coolant (color). I questioned the service advisor and was told there had been a changed.

Ford and its dealers should notify its customers (such as by the service advisor) or on the service invoice, when there is a change such as this.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know Motorcraft changed the recommended engine coolant for the 2015-2017 models. My 2015 was changed using the new coolant (color). I questioned the service advisor and was told there had been a changed.

Ford and its dealers should notify its customers (such as by the service advisor) or on the service invoice, when there is a change such as this.
What new color coolant did yours change too? Everything I read says orange, not green.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score

BTW Green has now been superseded by Yellow. Confirmed that with the dealer a few weeks ago. Ill post the latest MC part number when I go out the the garage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire