2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 08 Expedition will sweat outside the body, on passenger side behind rear door. I turn A/C not to blow so cold and the sweating stops.

It also will let water inside from front firewall, passenger side during heavy storms when driving. No leak sitting still. I do not drive during heavy rain anymore.

I thought I read somewhere there were problems with water getting into a computer by passenger front door. Might be wrong about what electronics got wet but something electrical by that passenger door.

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was manufactured in February 2017

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 08 Expedition will sweat outside the body, on passenger side behind rear door. I turn A/C not to blow so cold and the sweating stops.

Ah....mine does that in the same place, on both sides. Its mostly on the outside glass. Obviously, the rubber seal ain't so good there. Here you can see it on the fwd edge of the window.
20180908_135634423_iOS.jpg

urslo

Reaction score
my 2017 is leaking around the drivers side area and carpet is wet on that side.
i've pulled the plastic trim off the floor areas and dried the water out from the recessed area under the sill plates.
Also blew out the moonroof drains and poured bottled water through them to verify drainage. All is working there.
i have poured multiple bottles of water along the windshield, roof rail mounts and the plastic roof strips covering the side and roof metal joints. nothing
i guess its been doing it since i purchased new last year, i just didn't notice. of course it has 40,000 miles and is out of the primary warranty, so it's up to me to fix.
Has anyone discovered a definitive cause?

Thanks,
Ron

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone find anything? Seems like a large run of 2017s have water intrusion problems. Would be nice if an owner pin pointed where the issue lies.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you see my post above? Mine leaked for a long time before I figured out where it was coming from. One day I just happened to notice a drip coming from the dash at the parking brake handle. It was coming down the back side of the "A" pillar molding and draining into the dash, then onto the floor.

Getting a set of plastic Weathertech mats will help keep the water from soaking the carpet and you'll see it puddled there.

I couldn't find any leaks around the windshield but I removed the outside windshield side molding and reinstalled it and I also pulled the roof rail weatherstrip and the door surround weatherstrip and reinstalled those. I found an area of the door surround weatherstrip on top that was "wedged" open and I pinched it closed again. This may have solved the problem because I didn't notice any water after that. I suspect water got past the door surround weatherstrip, soaked into the headliner, then ran down the inside of the "A" pillar, etc.

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
Well, I will add to this. No leaks from the roof that I see, but there is water leaking INTO my rear, passenger door. After a good rain or going through the car wash, the door must have 1-2 inches inside of it. Every time I accelerate or brake, I can hear it moving around inside. It seems to eventually drain out after a day or two, depending on how much is in there.

This goes along with the list of issues I have with this truck. I am dealing directly with Ford, but they really don't seem to care too much.

I will post an update once I have one.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's normal for water to get into the door, it comes from the beltline weatherstrip. There are drain holes to let it out at the bottom but these can get clogged with gunk and debris. Clean them out and you may be OK.

To keep water inside the door from getting into the truck, be sure the inner plastic liner/seal is in place behind the door panel.

urslo

Reaction score
star-art
I have a monthly subscription to an automated car wash.
I'm going through the wash everyday now, with all the plastic floor trim removed and i cannot find this leak. Sitting in the car with a flashlight while im going through the wash surely looks odd.
i can only surmise that the car wash uses less water than driving in the rain.
i'll keep researching this diligently because i do not want moldy carpet.
the water will fill up the wiring trough under the floor sill plates and slowly leak out through the pinch welds. there are plastic hole grommets in the rear sill but i dont want to leave these out because it will let dirt in.
I did notice that parking brake cable grommet looked slightly asque so i pushed it in to fully seat it in the sheetmetal.

we have been experiencing an abnormal amount of rain

Thanks,
Ron

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might sound left field but worth a shot if you are at your wits end.

An aviation forum I follow suggest easiest way to find cabin air & water leaks is to buy a $40 fog machine from Amazon. These are also easy to find locally with Halloween coming up. The fog is produced when water and glycerine solution is heated. Doesn't leave an odor or residue and is safe to breath. Guys are using these in expensive aircraft so I wouldn't think twice about using in a SUV. Might even consider colored smoke if your Expedition is white or silver. Watts range from 400 to 1K.

Chauvet Hurricane 700 is the recommended model for whatever reason. Some say they rented a "professional" machine from a party supply store for similar money. Only need it a hour or two.

I'd try this route if the easier method of applying very sudsy soap to the outside - with the engine running, front and rear HVAC fan on high and in recirculation mode. Bubbles = troubles.