2018 42K Miles 3rd set of Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freitz

Reaction score
So I am on my third set of phasers. I've had my car back from the dealer for 3 weeks and I'm getting the cold start rattle again?

Am I the only one?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the dealer provide the list of replacement parts? Perhaps they didn't replacement everything that needed replacing. What oil weight are you using?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the dealer provide the list of replacement parts? Perhaps they didn't replacement everything that needed replacing. What oil weight are you using?

Twice, the selling dealer service department for my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (purchased new) installed 5W20 oil in the engine, instead of the required 5W30 oil. Once, they also installed 8 quarts of oil, instead of the required 6 quarts.

I no longer go to that dealer.

My point - the OP may hav a dealer or service provider that is not using the correct oil (or the OP may not be using the correct oil viscosity).

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
They replaced everything on the TSB. I had it done 20,000 miles ago as well and it came back. Seems like this is going to be an on going issue for the life of the vehicle.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score

No longer have the paperwork handy but they replaced everything they did the first time 20,000 miles ago.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to believe they didn’t use the updated parts the first time.
Keep us posted.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
I have to believe they didn’t use the updated parts the first time.
Keep us posted.

I don't have the paperwork because quite frankly if this keeps doing this I'll just go trade it in. The reason I waited for 30 days the first time was for updated parts that was Jan 2020. Phasers lasted about 7-8 months. First time I had everything they could think of replaced. This time they followed the TSB to a T. Seems like its just flawed design.

I don't know if it causes any issues but it sure is annoying.

I wonder if the Chevy Suburban/Tahoe crowd has their own laundry list of issues. Not a lot of reliable options in the 7-8 passenger truck space.

Osceola

Reaction score
Mine is currently at the dealer for the 3rd time for the cold start rattle. Their response, "that's normal". I am so frustrated with Ford right now!

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the cam phaser replacement over 20,000 miles ago. With the new parts.
No problems with the sound coming back. So no, I’d be telling my service manager it is NOT normal.

If it was normal how do they explain the fact that the large majority of Expeditions out there do not have that problem?

The dirty truth is that they have a quality control problem with the part, and they don’t want to have to keep swallowing the expensive repair bill.

Raise hell. The squeaky wheel...