2018 42K Miles 3rd set of Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely, and I absolutely wouldn't buy the first year of a Tahoe/Yukon. While they did some things right with their rear suspension, I'd wait at least a full model year for things to start cropping up. Some day the Toyota's of the world will start to build luxurious, well appointed, large SUV's with powerful/efficient motors, etc, and things will be different. Ford had a great run of quality, I just hope most of ours will show that, that's one of the reasons I felt comfortable buying this.

My first year 2015 GMC Yukon was bought-back by GM due to the cabin pressure issue that many had. The replacement 2016 was great.

I'd agree that all first-year cars have their issues.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
Agreed, have a friend with the LC and love it, great offroad, etc. But i don't like the 3rd row setup at all, needs to be a bit longer and wider with a true 3rd row.

Here's a question though, just thought about this. Being that this is the 3rd attempt at repairing this, when do you invoke the lemon laws?

I bought my used with 12k on the clock. So Lemon law wouldn't apply.

Honestly either way I have to spend money on a vehicle...I'm just tired of being at the shop most of all. 1 time okay no big deal, potentially a third I'm over it.

There is a youtube video out there where a mechanic talks about this issues specifically around the Raptors; conclusion was there is no real fix.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder. Is this just an issue with the 2018? or is there anyone with newer model that has similar issue?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10167208-0001.pdf

According to this anything built before April 8, 2019 is suspect. It would be interesting to know if anybody with a build date later than this is experiencing the issue.

and this is why I am not ready to declare that the sky is falling...
...yet.

Logic would dictate that the parts used after that date are a new design which incorporate the prior OE to eliminate that discreet failure mechanism. So Ford’s not worried about those.

Those who have experienced repeat occurrences must have had version 1 parts installed, again. Otherwise, vehicles manufactured after April’19 would be experiencing the same problem?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and this is why I am not ready to declare that the sky is falling...
...yet.

Logic would dictate that the parts used after that date are a new design which incorporate the prior OE to eliminate that discreet failure mechanism. So Ford’s not worried about those.

Those who have experienced repeat occurrences must have had version 1 parts installed, again. Otherwise, vehicles manufactured after April’19 would be experiencing the same problem?

If my memory is correct, I don’t think the updated parts were available until June of 2020 for repairs. I don’t recall the source. It may have been an updated TSB.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s most likely not the phasers it’s the turbo wastegate. We’ve been over this several times here.

I had my phasers replaced with the new part and got it back with the same rattle. Dealer admits it’s the turbo wastegate but won’t change it out under warranty because they say there’s no performance issue. Then they say anything you hear during the 1st minute after a cold start is normal unless it throws a code.

The phaser sound is more like someone whacking the inside of the fender with a belt for a few seconds after startup.

You can test if it’s the wastegate rattle yourself by unplugging the turbo wastegate actuator and the rattle will stop.

Good luck...

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If my memory is correct, I don’t think the updated parts were available until June of 2020 for repairs. I don’t recall the source. It may have been an updated TSB.

Mine was done in early February and the part numbers on the invoice were the new parts.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s most likely not the phasers it’s the turbo wastegate. We’ve been over this several times here.

I had my phasers replaced with the new part and got it back with the same rattle. Dealer admits it’s the turbo wastegate but won’t change it out under warranty because they say there’s no performance issue. Then they say anything you hear during the 1st minute after a cold start is normal unless it throws a code.

The phaser sound is more like someone whacking the inside of the fender with a belt for a few seconds after startup.

You can test if it’s the wastegate rattle yourself by unplugging the turbo wastegate actuator and the rattle will stop.

Good luck...
This is exactly what my issue was, but when my dealer contacted Ford about the turbo's, Ford told them to do the phasers first to ensure that's not the issue. Given that my rattle happens anytime under light acceleration, cold, hot, doesn't matter, I don't think it's phasers but I'm letting them do their thing.

I recorded the sounds, used stethoscopes, etc. So did they, and they hear it and can recreate it, but who knows. I don't care if they say it doesn't hurt anything, I'm not paying for a car like this with a rattle that you can hear on both sides of the vehicle just about anytime you start the vehicle or have light acceleration. Absolutely not.