2018 bilstein shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I am going to go with the 5100s as I cannot find a part number for the 4600. If it were my daily driver and not my wife's I would set all 4 on the highest setting and add rim's and tires. Because it is my wife's daily driver will keep it close to stock.

I am also wondering about recommendations on tires for the 20" inch wheels. I would like to go with either bf Goodrich all terrains or nitro ridge grappler. Does anyone have any experience with these and how they are compared to the stock highway tires?

Thank you

The BFG AT'S are nice and quiet, but man they get SLIPPERY when they wear down to half. I'm sure they are better than the stock slicks. I had them on my plow truck and until half tread they did ok, after that they were useless. Quiet tire tho!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d check the reviews and ratings at Tire Rack. Go from there. Beyond that, you’ll just get a few opinions on here. At least on Tire Rack, you’ll get LOTS of opinions.....

OP
OP
N

Ngravier

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the bilstein 5100 front and rear for the expedition. After reading through many of the post it seems most people have gone with the f150 5100s. I am just going for a slight lift to fit 275 60 20 tires. I wanted to go with 285 60 20 tires, but did not want to have to make them fit with trimming and adjustments.

I will be installing the shocks this week. The question I have is

Has anyone installed these and what rings did you use. I know the expedition top setting is 1.6 " height and the rear I was planning on setting the second from the top at 1.1".

I've only found one thread where these were installed and it was stated the rears actually raised 2 inches.

I plan on running stock rims with the tires and would like a little rake, but not completely level incase we ever plan to tow a trailer.

Thanks for everyone's help and I plan on posting pics when everything is installed and finished.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilsteins are excellent products. Only thing I put at or a little above them are edelbrocks. I was the only one who thought that so they don’t make those anymore. Can’t help with your specific questions as I’m rolling on ccd.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the bilstein 5100 front and rear for the expedition. After reading through many of the post it seems most people have gone with the f150 5100s. I am just going for a slight lift to fit 275 60 20 tires. I wanted to go with 285 60 20 tires, but did not want to have to make them fit with trimming and adjustments.
Will be interested in the setting you eventually choose: sounds like a slight lift with a less noticeable rake.

will you be fitting them yourself or having a shop do it?

OP
OP
N

Ngravier

Reaction score
Here is the finished look after install. I went ahead and had my local shop do the install with the tires. Its something I could do, but it's much easier with a lift and all the right tools at your disposal.

I wasn't quite sure what setting to set them on as I was getting conflicting data from on the forum on another install. In that install it was stated the rears were raised 2" on the top clip vs the stated 1.5".

I ended up going with the top clip on the fronts and the second to the top on the rears. This should have given me 1.6" in the front and 1.1" in the rear. It was spot on and left enough rake if I ever need to tow a trailer.

Here is the final height gained

Front original to bottom of fender
35.5"
With bilsteins installed on top setting
37.75"

Rear original to bottom of fender
36"
With bilsteins installed second to top
37.75"

The tires I went with are nitto ridge grappler 275 60 20 and they measure 32 inches high and are spec'd at 33".

So overall the bilsteins seem to be spot on on height gained according to the spacers. I hope this helps someone with a future install and thanks everyone for the help.

This is also the bilstein shocks specific to the expedition and not the f150 "hack" as it was recently called.

20200506_164802.jpg

20200506_065052.jpg