2018 Expedition Grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JacobZ06

Reaction score
I have a Platinum on order but I am not a fan of the grille. I expect I will visit my local paint shop to have a blackout treatment done something like this:

36889152704_51645cf86d_b.jpg

37550651896_1b41ecc4fc_b.jpg

The OEM Platinum grille to me lacks pizzazz.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I have a Platinum on order but I am not a fan of the grille. I expect I will visit my local paint shop to have a blackout treatment done something like this:

36889152704_51645cf86d_b.jpg

37550651896_1b41ecc4fc_b.jpg

The OEM Platinum grille to me lacks pizzazz.
That's bc they spent too much time worrying about how to make the new ones look like a suburban and Honda Odyssey had a child. Basically a glorified minivan

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey! I have an Odyssey and was dead set on a Suburban until they announced an FX4 package that it doesn't drop the towing capacity down to 6klbs! Not that I care one whit about a vehicle's styling (we did by an Odyssey, after all).

RH512AAA

Reaction score
I too wish there was a blackout option, thought about making some changes but to me blacking out the grille makes the chrome that's left very dominate, which I'm not loving. All very subjective of course.

The FX4 option has the surround on fog lamps in black, as do some fleet versions. Maybe these are easy to swap out. Also wish the back of the side mirrors were body color and not polished on the Platinum version.

Have to focus on the many other things to be happy about.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where GM wins. They have SO MANY factory options to customize a Tahoe/Suburban! There is a Midnight Black edition, a black bowtie, a lighted black bowtie, almost 30 wheel options including multiple black ones, upgraded exhaust, tons of grille mod options: more chrome, less chrome, partial blackout, full blackout...

I wish Ford would offer the same. I'm not sure why they don't.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where GM wins. They have SO MANY factory options to customize a Tahoe/Suburban! There is a Midnight Black edition, a black bowtie, a lighted black bowtie, almost 30 wheel options including multiple black ones, upgraded exhaust, tons of grille mod options: more chrome, less chrome, partial blackout, full blackout...

All those options cost the company money to carry them in inventory and on the books. It is more frugal to offer fewer options.

It would be a great business for someone to start that trades out things you don't like for things that you do like.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I found the GM build and price site almost overwhelming with the all the available options. If I want different wheels I’m going with an aftermarket wheel instead of the factory option. I was kind of surprised at the cost of some of the GM wheels when compared to aftermarket ones. As far as grille options I think Ford could offer a few different options for that, maybe just appearance packages you could choose between.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats how gm makes a lot of their mo ey, by offering customizable parts at high prices. Also, gm is able to offer so many optuons because their suvs add so much to their bottom, ford suvs dont sell enough to justify so many options and extra pkgs. We kinda gotta blame ourselves for that one.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats how gm makes a lot of their mo ey, by offering customizable parts at high prices. Also, gm is able to offer so many optuons because their suvs add so much to their bottom, ford suvs dont sell enough to justify so many options and extra pkgs. We kinda gotta blame ourselves for that one.

You’re right, the Suburban sells over 10 times as much as the Expedition. Maybe with the 2018 Expy redesign this will change. I think Ford is moving in the right direction with the 2018 and answering to market demands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk