2018 Ford Expedition Platinum Transmission Oil Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There’s supposed to be a short little dipstick down on the pass side of the trans. Have to say I haven’t looked for it. I asked my dealer to check mine and they weren’t the least bit interested in doing so at the last service. Only wanted to change the fluid. Mine shifts weird when it’s below 40 degrees out and only the first shift of the day. Some people say they’ve had theirs be a quart low from the factory.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum with a 3.5 Liter engine. How do you check the transmission Oil Level? The owners manual says it does not have a dip stick.

The Ford recommended process for checking the transmission fluid level requires the fluid temperature to be in a certain range and I think the engine operating with the transmission in “park”.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am curious about my 2013 and the 6R80 . I want to sample a few oz of fluid to send off to Blackstone. Can this be done with engine off? I don't want oil spilling out. I intend to put back same quantity as sample. The transmission has 117K and I have no idea of the history. Also the manufacturer says change at 150K and I have warranty that I don't want to mess with. Just want to make sure of condition.

ccssid

Reaction score
I am curious about my 2013 and the 6R80 . I want to sample a few oz of fluid to send off to Blackstone. Can this be done with engine off? I don't want oil spilling out. I intend to put back same quantity as sample. The transmission has 117K and I have no idea of the history. Also the manufacturer says change at 150K and I have warranty that I don't want to mess with. Just want to make sure of condition
Why not just change your trans fluid now. It certainly will not effect your warranty.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just change your trans fluid now. It certainly will not effect your warranty.
I could do that but figure when I get to the magic 150K, assuming the oil analysis does not indicate otherwise, I will have dealer do it and have them responsible for the TSB's etc.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am curious about my 2013 and the 6R80 . I want to sample a few oz of fluid to send off to Blackstone. Can this be done with engine off? I don't want oil spilling out. I intend to put back same quantity as sample. The transmission has 117K and I have no idea of the history. Also the manufacturer says change at 150K and I have warranty that I don't want to mess with. Just want to make sure of condition.
Don’t waste time and money on fluid analysis. At this mileage you need to:
- drop the pan and valve body and change the square pump seal.
- change the bulkhead connector.
- perhaps most importantly, change the cooler lines. There are some reported cases of cooler lines snapping at the quick connect (due to metal fatigue) leading to all fluid being pumped out. Unfortunately, This causes transmission failure.

Not intending to scare you, these transmissions are pretty solid, but if I were you, I would take care of these items now.

Oh, to answer your question, I think you may need to have the engine running before opening the dipstick in the 6r80. I have the ZF version 6hp26 and the fluid pukes out if engine is not running. In The 10r80, you can open the dipstick plug with the engine off but shouldn’t take a reading.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no extensive service history on my 2013 so the fluid test is really something I want to do to benchmark the condition of the transmission. I have some limited warranty time on the lead frame TSB as well as a third party warranty going forward. I am sure the third party will want to blame abuse and lack of maintenance despite mileage. I will have my mechanic do the things you recommend at the end of the factory TSB warranty. I had no idea that the cooler lines were a problem.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no extensive service history on my 2013 so the fluid test is really something I want to do to benchmark the condition of the transmission. I have some limited warranty time on the lead frame TSB as well as a third party warranty going forward. I am sure the third party will want to blame abuse and lack of maintenance despite mileage. I will have my mechanic do the things you recommend at the end of the factory TSB warranty. I had no idea that the cooler lines were a problem.

Here is a short, informative video regarding failure of the transmission fluid cooling lines: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMINhtANxI

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett