2018 Expedition Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meaning what? Do you think the standard rear diff is faster or slower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not a mech E, but in general the higher ratio rear differential will give you quicker low speed acceleration at the cost of a lower top speed (or simply requiring a higher gear for a given speed). And the torque/HP difference between the two trims is pretty negligible. My SWAG would be 0-60 times would be fastest with the 3.73 rear axle (either engine output) and 1/4mile speeds would be fastest with the standard rear axle (either engine output). Again, I'm not a mech e, so I could be all wet on this one...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a mech E, but in general the higher ratio rear differential will give you quicker low speed acceleration at the cost of a lower top speed (or simply requiring a higher gear for a given speed). And the torque/HP difference between the two trims is pretty negligible. My SWAG would be 0-60 times would be fastest with the 3.73 rear axle (either engine output) and 1/4mile speeds would be fastest with the standard rear axle (either engine output). Again, I'm not a mech e, so I could be all wet on this one...

There comes a point that with stock gearing, weight, and aerodynamics where the gains stop. At that point you can add all the power you want, but you aren’t gaining any speed. An outdrive Guy was explaining this to me a while back and it’s the closest I can compare to. He put it this way. At a certain point, due to friction against the hull and the stock prop, you can add all the juice you want, but the boat will not run any quicker due to the physics of friction against the hull. And at another point, add too much power and the prop will cavitate effectively losing top end speed. Basically, there comes a point where you can add all the juice in the world, but it won’t make a difference. You can throw a supercharger on the Escalade 6.2L and boost it to infinity if you want, but it will only be marginally quicker than stock, and will still get spanked by a corvette. Physics at a certain point nullify the gains. In the end the vehicle had to overcome the friction of the tire against the road surface and has to “swim” through the air surrounding it to get to speed, and you can only do it so quick even with infinite power. It can only do it as quick as the gears can tranfer the power to the road surface, and as we know too much power and the wheels will break free and stop transferring power to the road, effectively killing the speed. You are limited to how fast your gears and drivetrain can tranfer the power and to the friction the tires have against the road surface, and then how fast the vehicle can travel through the surrounding air. We can’t overcome physics, at a point there is no more gain.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score

correct, 3.73 will get you to 60 quicker. im not sure at what speed that begins to negatively affect the speed through the traps, but i can promise you if your game is 0-60, the taller gears help. as far as standard gearing helping you in the quarter mile, that may or may not be true. it just depends when the transmission/rear end combo run out of use. the 3.73 could potentially give a quicker quarter mile due to the faster 0-60, to many variables to state that as fact. but in principle you are correct

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There comes a point that with stock gearing, weight, and aerodynamics where the gains stop. At that point you can add all the power you want, but you aren’t gaining any speed. An outdrive Guy was explaining this to me a while back and it’s the closest I can compare to. He put it this way. At a certain point, due to friction against the hull and the stock prop, you can add all the juice you want, but the boat will not run any quicker due to the physics of friction against the hull. And at another point, add too much power and the prop will cavitate effectively losing top end speed. Basically, there comes a point where you can add all the juice in the world, but it won’t make a difference. You can throw a supercharger on the Escalade 6.2L and boost it to infinity if you want, but it will only be marginally quicker than stock, and will still get spanked by a corvette. Physics at a certain point nullify the gains. In the end the vehicle had to overcome the friction of the tire against the road surface and has to “swim” through the air surrounding it to get to speed, and you can only do it so quick even with infinite power. It can only do it as quick as the gears can tranfer the power to the road surface, and as we know too much power and the wheels will break free and stop transferring power to the road, effectively killing the speed. You are limited to how fast your gears and drivetrain can tranfer the power and to the friction the tires have against the road surface, and then how fast the vehicle can travel through the surrounding air. We can’t overcome physics, at a point there is no more gain.

for top speed, yes. for what most of these guys have these cars for no.

i have seen escalades destroy corvettes and the like. and getting a cadillac escalade from 6.2 to 3.3 0-60 would considered more than marginal. a client of mine has a brand new 17 or 18 cadillac escalade HPE1000. it was scary off the line.

Remember the Typhoon/Syclone. It was the quickest production car in the world for several years, besting Ferraris, Corvettes, and Lambos!!!!

it would require 2,000-3,000 horsepower in an all wheel drive SUV to reach the limits you are speaking of.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for top speed, yes. for what most of these guys have these cars for no.

i have seen escalades destroy corvettes and the like. and getting a cadillac escalade from 6.2 to 3.3 0-60 would considered more than marginal. a client of mine has a brand new 17 or 18 cadillac escalade HPE1000. it was scary off the line.

Remember the Typhoon/Syclone. It was the quickest production car in the world for several years, besting Ferraris, Corvettes, and Lambos!!!!

it would require 2,000-3,000 horsepower in an all wheel drive SUV to reach the limits you are speaking of.

Yes I suppose....... water and land are different beasts. The new vette is like 2.7 seconds 0-60, an SUV of any vintage will never achieve that. I’ll call it impossible. On the same token I’m sure he wasnt running stock tires or gearing, because that speed is not achievable with our stock setups. Wheels would break free and that power could never be applied to the ground with our stock Michelin tires. Our trannies would blow apart and rear ends would tear up. Not to mention with our gearing the power could never be applied that quick anyway. Hence why I say it’s beyond the limitations of our vehicles, they can’t do it. The gains are only marginal on our stock vehicles until you change it from so.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be a stickler!!

Only the 2019 ZR1 corvette has sub 3 second 0-60.

the stock Jeep Trackhawk will do 0-60 in 3.5 or less

the HPE1000 Jeep Trackhawk will do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds!!!!!!!

that is why i am a huge fan of sport SUVs. They absolutely make no sense, but when virtually ANY vehicle short of some hybrid AWD hyper cars can pull up next to you in a Full size 4 door SUV and you literally walk them...............That is pretty badass.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
correct, 3.73 will get you to 60 quicker... the 3.73 could potentially give a quicker quarter mile due to the faster 0-60, to many variables to state that as fact. but in principle you are correct
Glad I wasn't too off. My original point is still that my gut tells me that for 0-60 and 1/4mi times, I think the choice of rear axle is going to have a greater impact than the engine tuning choice.

OP
OP
gtnator

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A nice review of the Navi.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just drove a navi today, wow what a suv. It just oozes luxury. Its rides so pillowy smooth and the seats are great. The screen is fantastic as well.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire