2018 Max Platinum 4x4 - Maintenance Reccomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searayboater

Reaction score
I have an '18 Max Plat with 83k miles. I've religiously kept up on all scheduled maintenance since new. It's had cam phasers, Trans work, and a new water pump done. I take it on one a long (5k in 3 weeks) road trip every summer and want to see if there is anything I should look to do pre-emptively as it approaches 100k miles? I get new tires at every 20k miles... i try and baby it as much as possible. Anything like front bushings/suspension, etc...? Just had brakes done 7k ago... I still have extended warranty for another 6months /17k miles - I've never kept an SUV for this long, and just want to keep it in best condition possible, keeping for another 1-2yrs if she holds up with no major problems. I feel that the trans is the weakest point, even though they did a "re-build" 15k miles ago...

Thanks!

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change the thermostat to the new design. It helped mine a lot. After seeing the trans temp difference alone, I’m thinking my factory stat didn’t open fully since new. I’m running 190 now once warmed up, down from 205 after not an hour.

You could do the NGK ruthenium plugs as well.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did I read that right. You get new tires every 20,00 miles? Sounds like you are on top of the other maintenance. Plugs, brake fluid recommendation change?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '18 Max Plat with 83k miles. I've religiously kept up on all scheduled maintenance since new. It's had cam phasers, Trans work, and a new water pump done. I take it on one a long (5k in 3 weeks) road trip every summer and want to see if there is anything I should look to do pre-emptively as it approaches 100k miles? I get new tires at every 20k miles... i try and baby it as much as possible. Anything like front bushings/suspension, etc...? Just had brakes done 7k ago... I still have extended warranty for another 6months /17k miles - I've never kept an SUV for this long, and just want to keep it in best condition possible, keeping for another 1-2yrs if she holds up with no major problems. I feel that the trans is the weakest point, even though they did a "re-build" 15k miles ago...

Thanks!
It sounds like you're doing all the right things...and more...staying with the scheduled service is a sound way to go.

As mentioned by the previous posts, I would include preemptively replacing fluids: brake (if not performed during brake work,) transmission and transfer case.

The spark plugs are a good idea as well.

Have the motor mounts and bushings inspected, if you are unable to check yourself. If you have the time and money, replace or repair the ones that have large cracks or excessive play.

Inspect all the gaskets for leaks.

Good luck!

bobward757

Reaction score
Ditto on driveline fluids. Every 60K. Fronts rears transfer and tranny.

Search for a thread in 4th gen about plugs. Great reccs there.

Done the serp belt yet? No more than 100K please!

And ditto on the upgraded ford t-stat. 10 deg cooler towing.

Happy summer ‘24!

OP
OP
S

Searayboater

Reaction score
Great recs, I will adress all of them - thanks!
Did I read that right. You get new tires every 20,00 miles? Sounds like you are on top of the other maintenance. Plugs, brake fluid recommendation change?
Yeah, we don't get great tread life in FL due to the heat and asphalt eat up tires down here. 20-25K has been normal life for tires

OP
OP
S

Searayboater

Reaction score
Ditto on driveline fluids. Every 60K. Fronts rears transfer and tranny.

Search for a thread in 4th gen about plugs. Great reccs there.

Done the serp belt yet? No more than 100K please!

And ditto on the upgraded ford t-stat. 10 deg cooler towing.

Happy summer ‘24!
Many thanks for replies, I'm def going to address all items listed.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score