2019 heading in for cam phaser repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be very leery of this repair. We took my wife's 2018 Limited in for the same repair and after a 5 weeks and a new engine we finally got the vehicle back. They supposedly received a bad phaser from the factory and after the initial repair and startup it bent 6 valves and mushroomed 3 pistons. After much back and forth they agreed to put in a new engine rather than repair the mess that they made. Through all this I've noticed that in the shop at our Ford dealer there are engines and transmissions stacked up everywhere. I'm told that they have three full time techs that do nothing but engine and transmission swaps. Maybe its just an isolated experience but I did go down the street and looked in the service bay of both a Dodge and GM dealer and did not see the same. Maybe they hide theirs better. LOL. That being said we love the Expedition but are on pins a needles about keeping this for the long haul.

I freaked out on my first oil change at the dealer when I saw the number of Newish SUVs and trucks with their guts open.

Never seen such number of hard part failures in other dealerships.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be very leery of this repair. We took my wife's 2018 Limited in for the same repair and after a 5 weeks and a new engine we finally got the vehicle back. They supposedly received a bad phaser from the factory and after the initial repair and startup it bent 6 valves and mushroomed 3 pistons. After much back and forth they agreed to put in a new engine rather than repair the mess that they made. Through all this I've noticed that in the shop at our Ford dealer there are engines and transmissions stacked up everywhere. I'm told that they have three full time techs that do nothing but engine and transmission swaps. Maybe its just an isolated experience but I did go down the street and looked in the service bay of both a Dodge and GM dealer and did not see the same. Maybe they hide theirs better. LOL. That being said we love the Expedition but are on pins a needles about keeping this for the long haul.

Whoa! ...given that synopsis, I'd have to say that someone (the tech), failed on some level during the phaser replacement service. To bend a quarter of the valves and half the pistons, SOMETHING was not performed correctly during the phaser replacement. That being said, I suppose a major phaser failure could result in this much damage ...but I gotta believe a phaser bolt was not properly torqued ...or maybe even that they missed that a tensioner was the source of the original failure and overlooked it. The only way to bend valves and ruin pistons is for timing to completely and totally fail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turro15