$550 to replace rear brake pads: reasonable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Dealer said my rear brake pads need replacement and quoted me $550.

Also, they recommend that I get the brake fluid flushed at the same time.

Car has 55k miles on it.

1) Is the quote price reasonable for a rear brake replacement service?

2) Do I need the brake fluid flushed? Not sure how much extra it will cost.

Thank you!

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think its reasonable..

seems alot less than my dealer would do just for the back...

My dealer quoted me $1500 to do all 4 corners, New brake pads and rotors. Not sure if that included brake fluid though. I ended up going to my independent shop and had all 4 done for $975 . They didnt flush the brake fluid tho, It was at 63,000 miles

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also - note to the independent shop that the rear brakes will need to be put into "maintenance mode" before touching them.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If that includes removing the rear rotors and putting a fine cut on them then it’s a good deal but depends if the rotors need it or can take it. I’d do the brake fluid flush if around $100-200. Every car I’ve done it on that has fluid older than three or four years usually will have better pedal feel and response with new fluid.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

Dealer said my rear brake pads need replacement and quoted me $550.

Also, they recommend that I get the brake fluid flushed at the same time.

Car has 55k miles on it.

1) Is the quote price reasonable for a rear brake replacement service?

2) Do I need the brake fluid flushed? Not sure how much extra it will cost.

Thank you!

Pads alone? Not rotors or cutting rotors? If that’s the case you can get a lot of local shops to do a pad replacement for under $200. Pads are cheap. Like $60 for the rear pair for motorcraft from rockauto and 1 hour labor cheap.
Rotors are more like $100 each and typically 1 hours more labor and should to be done with new pads.

The fluid flush is all labor. The fluid is cheap, but to flush every line on these takes time. Probably 1 hour quoted.

Where I am, dealer labor is $185/hour.

Expoxone

Reaction score
No! It's not that difficult. Save your cash and do it yourself. You just need to put the vehicle into maintenance mode, which is a sequence of mashing down your accelerator and pulling the parking brake switch in a specific way. Use YouTube. Other than that, it's a regular brake job. You can get top of the line pads for $65.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire