$550 to replace rear brake pads: reasonable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawkeye07

Reaction score
Brake pad replacement is super easy - I’d just buy the pads at Rock auto and do it myself. Same with fluid flush.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No! It's not that difficult. Save your cash and do it yourself. You just need to put the vehicle into maintenance mode, which is a sequence of mashing down your accelerator and pulling the parking brake switch in a specific way. Use YouTube. Other than that, it's a regular brake job. You can get top of the line pads for $65.
Nope
Its just a vehicle setting in the dash now.

chrismills

Reaction score
A lot depends on what you are getting for $550. If it is just pads then they are gouging you a bunch. if it is rotors and pads then it is still very high. A brake flush should be around $150 but review your service manual---not required till a 100K so they are gouging you again.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Done tons of brakes. Brake flushes are a waste at that mileage UNLESS you did a lot of towing and hard braking. Fluid takes a very long time to break down as the system is sealed unless you overheat the fluid. Also a lot of dealers do not even flush the brakes they just charge you as there is no way to prove they did. Lots of videos on this.

If you can take a wheel off the rear, inspect the brakes and inspect the rotors and mark with paint on the caliper bleeder.
After the service you can verify they turned the rotors and cracked the bleeder screw.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Way too much in my opinion. Did mine for approximately $225. Installed carbon ceramic pads/ rotors front and back. They have a lifetime warranty.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
As others have said pads only, too expensive. But if you are getting a flush that’s still pricey but they have the equipment to flush the old fluid also to cycle the ABS and not get a lot of air in the system. . If they are just bleeding them you can do that yourself.

jimbosidecar

Reaction score
$550? Yikes. First of all you shouldn't need rear pads at just 55,000 miles. Secondly Rock Auto and Youtube are your friend. I've got 230,000 miles on my 2001 Expy (bought it at 94,000 miles) and I've done the front pads twice now and the rears once. About an hour to an hour and a half per axle

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I needed rear pads at 48k. Vehicles with adaptive cruise will use rear brakes to regulate speed, also it would seem vehicles these days use rear slightly more to maybe minimize nose dive on hard braking? Just a theory.

Picture of my rear pads at 48k. Old vs new.

Attachments

• IMG_7364.jpeg
    IMG_7364.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 10

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$550? Yikes. First of all you shouldn't need rear pads at just 55,000 miles. Secondly Rock Auto and Youtube are your friend. I've got 230,000 miles on my 2001 Expy (bought it at 94,000 miles) and I've done the front pads twice now and the rears once. About an hour to an hour and a half per axle
Rear pads on the current generation Expedition wear faster than the fronts and yes 40,000-50,000 is very typical replacement point. If anyone tows trailers that could be lower. In comparison my Toyota’s were 1/2 that!! My non towing Subaru was 90,000 miles my towing subaru identical car was 65,000.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have to see what is involved in putting it in brake mode. A google search would answer that.

You only said the rear brakes. Even for all four it's a lot. For the rear two way too much. Does the dealer have a “quick lane”. I used one for changing the oil on a Lexus GS460. It was $80 with full synthetic and a Lexus Oil Filter. They also inspected everyhting including the brakes. I thought that was a great deal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire