2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giudi1md

Reaction score
I’ve noticed a few of these spoilers look like they have actually become dislodged as a result of this.

Do you think the case could be made for a safety recall considering the rear brake light is integrated into the spoiler assembly?

nfamus1

Reaction score
Joining all of you here. I too am dealing with this very issue and was denied today initially by my dealer. They did tell me they will submit it to Ford and follow up, but never brought up that the issue is common and that Ford was covering it. I'm going tomorrow again and see wha They say after I share these new findings

So here is how it all started for me. I attempted to lift the liftgate on Friday the 19th where it was about 20 degrees in NJ. We heard the popping and cracking and thought it was ice. Didn't think too much of it. Opened it again later and I we heard it again and the lift gate closed back up. My crack is pretty significant and Ford is not taking responsibility. They are assuming "Something fell on it and cracked it" and recommended I put in a claim with my insurance. It's been a crazy day. From dealer to body shop to my insurance agent. I am going to fight this.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and updates. Video attached. Heading back to the dealer with all thus ammunition youbguus have provided. I will keep all posted. THANKS
*****Quick Update all. After finding the internal memo and talking to a few people at Ford. They did finally take responsibility, and my local Ford dealer did the right thing. It was tense for a little bit, but ultimately, it worked out. Thank you Ford! Fette Ford Clifton NJ

Hisurfernmi

Reaction score
My 22 Expy is currently at the shop waiting for parts. Told today it will take 2-3 weeks for completion (1 week for parts, 1.5-2 weeks for repair). Had it picked up yesterday to have it looked at for Warranty service work due to the spoiler/roof contact issue. If you get the right dealer it looks like they know the process to repair.

Service Consultant did mention he had received another Expedition just the Friday before with the exact same issue.

raemae

Reaction score
Did you ever get answers? Same thing happened to my 2022 Expedition king ranch. Damage looks the same but my spoiler is hanging loose and banging around when driving. I’ve read through this forum and sent the SSM 51346 TO the FORD DEALERSHIP and was told that SSM# does not exist and will not be covered?? Help with next step?

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpeg
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3047.jpeg
    IMG_3047.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3048.jpeg
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you ever get answers? Same thing happened to my 2022 Expedition king ranch. Damage looks the same but my spoiler is hanging loose and banging around when driving. I’ve read through this forum and sent the SSM 51346 TO the FORD DEALERSHIP and was told that SSM# does not exist and will not be covered?? Help with next step?
That dealer is BS'ing you saying that SSM is non existent.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked, and it is true, Special Service Message 51346 has been removed from Ford's Professional Technician System (PTS) website.

It's unclear when or why it was removed, however, we still have the screen capture of the original PTS release of SSM 51346 on February 7, 2023.

For new Forum member @raemae -- and anyone else in need of this documentation, please print the below-attached PDF file and provide it to your dealership's Service representative...

Attachments

• OASIS Broadcast Message - Special Service Message 51346 - Ford PTS Website - 02-07-2023.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 10

rental_expy

Reaction score
I'm going through the same issue with a rental Expedition I had. I called Hertz when it happened and gave them the SSM number. Since it was a smaller location (Spokane, WA), it was a leasee rental company licensed through Hertz. They sent the vehicle off to a third party repair company who sent me a letter telling me I'm subject to a damage claim. I called them back and they aren't sure how to handle it. I just called the Spokane Ford dealership with the VIN and got told there are no recalls on the vehicle, so they aren't sure how to handle it either. So as of right now, I rented a car, opened the rear hatch on the 2nd day and had it crack, so I had to load my skis through the passenger door the rest of the trip, spent over an hour on the phone with Hertz as of now, and am still as of now on the hook for repair cost. Hopefully with the info from you all, I can get this resolved.

LegalBrief

Reaction score
It’s not a recall… it’s a technical service bulletin. Your vocabulary needs to be correct.

I’d let your car insurance handle this with rental company.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not a recall… it’s a technical service bulletin. Your vocabulary needs to be correct.

I’d let your car insurance handle this with rental company.
This is definitely a design/manufactuing flaw that Ford needs to correct. The fact that it is/was a TSB with Ford shows it with the anount of other vehicles with same Exact issue. He can easily win this in court if need be.