2022 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So funny that the size of the screen makes for a good car these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more... So much I could say, but that's why we have phablets these days. But Ford will probably offer a damage protection plan just like cell phone companies now, on top of the extended warranty. A buddy of mine that has 3 tesla's has already spent over 5k in replacement screens for various reasons. The fun part is when it's below zero out and the screens don't refresh/work properly.

I also love the hypocritical nature of all of this. Let's do everything we can to prevent people from taking their eyes off of the road for a cell phone screen, but let's put a giant tablet in the car and see what happens. At least with nobs that have tactile feedback, you can usually do things without looking much at all.

Sorry, just had to expand on Fozzy's thoughts a little, I get it, just my thoughts, likely no one elses... I get it, the cars will soon drive themselves and fly too, with no repercussions.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got the giant screen in my Ram 1500, and I prefer the physical buttons that I have in our Expedition and my previous Yukon. While FCA was smart enough to give actual push-button controls for the climate control and defrosters, the heated steering wheel, heated seats, cooled seats, etc. are all on the touch screen, and I hate having to take my eyes off of the road to make sure I'm pressing correct place on the screen. It's particularly frustrating when I miss and accidentally hit the button next to it, because it takes even longer to get back to the control I wanted in the first place.

The big screen is nice when it comes to displaying the navigation plus whatever media you're using, but to me it's not worth losing the manual controls for simple and repetitive features. Unfortunately getting the Limited trim on the Ram required the larger screen. If not, I'd have gone for the 8" nav and been done with it. I'd imagine the new Expedition will be much the same way.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Designers must "...make the integration a bit crappy on the low-end models and good on the high end..."

Also, it isn't about the mechanics of the physical screen: you cannot just plant a big screen in there and call it good 'cos Tesla does it. It is all about the UX. The Cadillac integration works well. Proper design will eliminate the need for physical controls. Poor design has people, like the above and myself, pining for the physical controls (which is one reason I like the Ford).

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do wonder where the pendulum will land eventually; it appears to be hurtling towards huge screens in everything. I was super-excited for the RWD Explorer to come back, but when I saw the huge screen implementation I was really disappointed. I really like approximately an 8 inch screen embedded in the dash near the top; of course it's a compromise but I love all of my hard buttons. I do think 8-10" either vertical or horizontal is probably the sweet spot, or at least you'll be able to get a screen that size unless you spring for the highest trim. At a certain point you can't go bigger and at that time I think people will question whether the vehicle is actually better for all that extra cost. We may have carplay to thank as that's what many people get used to and a big screen doesn't really help that implementation.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's just the thing. Tesla has been using giant center dash screen for years, with practically non-existent gauge cluster. Whether we like it or not, it's the trend things are moving in, and automakers are trying to compete with one another.

I do agree that the Escalade integration is just flawless. The vehicle looks on the inside like it cost $120k, which it easily does with options. Let's not compare a $60k Expy to it. Current Yukon Denali that I've test driven feels very nice overall on the inside, but whether it's better or not than the Expy is a matter of personal taste.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's just the thing. Tesla has been using giant center dash screen for years, with practically non-existent gauge cluster. Whether we like it or not, it's the trend things are moving in, and automakers are trying to compete with one another.

I do agree that the Escalade integration is just flawless. The vehicle looks on the inside like it cost $120k, which it easily does with options. Let's not compare a $60k Expy to it. Current Yukon Denali that I've test driven feels very nice overall on the inside, but whether it's better or not than the Expy is a matter of personal taste.

A base escalade is $78k and a blown out Expy platinum is almost $90k.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A base escalade is $78k and a blown out Expy platinum is almost $90k.

A 78k base rwd swb escalade will have nowhere near the same features and capabilities as a fully loaded 84k 4wd swb expy platinum. Why do ppl make these comparisons is odd. Auto journalists do this too. Yes I can get a base gls cheaper than a fully loaded denali, but im also not gettin the stuff that makes the gls better either.