21 miles to E my A**!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow... I guess I'm really paranoid then... I start looking for a gas station when I get below 1/2 a tank!

david_jr

Reaction score
My low fuel light came on for the first time since I've owned it the other day. Said I had 50 miles to empty and started counting down from there. Was down to like 45 by the time I got to a station. Only took 23 gallons though and we have an 08 Limited with a 28 gallon tank. Is it normal for the gauge to be that far off or does a 28 gallon tank not take 28 gallons?

Never_Evil

Reaction score
I must be one of the lucky ones, I can go to 0 for about an extra 10 miles or so. I dont like pushing it that far, but when $$ is hard to get at minimum wage, you squeeze out all you can.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck. Mama is always right.

If mama ain't happy, then no one is happy. Hope she learns not to trust an "estimated" number. Once or twice with this happening and you toss in some yes maam's, she should turn around. Call me a veteran of the married condition.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be one of the lucky ones, I can go to 0 for about an extra 10 miles or so. I dont like pushing it that far, but when $$ is hard to get at minimum wage, you squeeze out all you can.

Same for me, but im with ya i dont like letting it get that low myself either. When it does get that low its usually cause i havent come across a gas station to fill up.

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow this reminds me of a funny story. Back, oh lets say, 3 years ago my dad forgot to fill up my truck before we left Lansing, where he has a motorsports store, I knew the needle was a tick over empty then and its a 70or so mile drive from the highway entrance to the gas station I knew he was going to by our house. Some how 55 miles to empty went down slow enough that we made it there with the readout saying 0 miles to empty. Now that it's my truck that needle never goes below 1/4, but I know my readouts a little unoptimistic when I cut it close.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had something similar. when i was home on leave, i took my mother-in-law to an appt. she was running late and i was running out of gas. i told her i had to stop but she inisisted i would make it. when i dropped her off and made it to the gas station, my computer said 0 miles till empty. man was i nervous! didnt want to be that guy a block from the gas station with a gas can in my hand!

Drth Vdr

Reaction score
I apologize for bringing this back from the dead - but I'm new to the forum, so it's new to me, and maybe some other newbies around here. Anyway - I too have an '08 limited and I've been carefully paying attention to my gauge and fill-up gallons. I've run it down to 10 a couple times and have yet to put more than 25 gallons in the tank (I supposedly have a 28 gallon tank). According to the manual, the computer calculates it based on your average mpg in the last 500 miles.

As a side note, I test drove 3 used expeditions while I was shopping for one, and they ALL had between 0 and 10 miles till "E" according to the computer.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well...i've done it to know in emergency situations just in case i ever need to or cant get gas...i've ran it down to below ten and filled up and i have 27 gal tank and was able to get 26 and change...but i do it to all my cars if they have it so i know if its true or not...i normally fill up at 1/4 tank but ocassionaly i'll go to an 1/8