2nd gen differential issues, is there a perma fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the rear diff in these things is prone to have all sorts of issues. I've read other threads where ppl have replaced the cluttch packs 4 times over the life of owning theirs and they still have issues... My new to me Expy is making a humming noise at 40mph+ and before that it will make a sound almost like a bad wheel bearing when I give it very light throttle from 20-30mph which annoys the crap out of me. It did not do this on the test drive or the drive home and this is the first time I've bought a vehicle where anything like this has happened sadly.

Everything I've researched points to the diff. issue. I finally got someone else to drive it while I sat in the back seat and it is def. coming from the back when I thought it was the front before. Only other thing it could be is a halfshaft or one of the rear wheel bearings but those should make noise regardless of whether my foot is on the gas or not right? Anyway, I'm going to drain/fill the diff with fresh 75w-140 since it likely has the original stuff in there at 79k miles and drop a bottle of friction modifier in there too and hope that helps it but is there a permanent solution to these issues?

I mean the rearend is just a 8.8 with IRS, there are a TON of 8.8 differentials out there that are super stout and make the stocker look like junk. Is the issue the stock diffs or something else that is making them fail? Would swapping in something like an Eaton rear diff keep this from happening again? This would also give me an excuse to beef up the rear halfshafts while I am in there...

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was just reading how the 2nd gen was the real deal....:joke::joke:

when i was working in the industry i rebuilt several of these IRS units and never seen a clutch pack fail, the 8.8 clutches are ceramic and very durable the 9.75 have organic clutches and usually that is a probem we see there

the root of the problem is an IRS should not be in a truck the combonation of high torque and more wheel travel puts huge strain on the out put shaft bearings, at the point i was doing them the aftermarket had not come up with a stronger bearing but maybe they have now

i will see if i can come up with any thing

be sure to use full synthetic oil if you change it out