2nd Gen radiator support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foredeckguy

Reaction score
I find to my dismay my new-to-me 2006 Expy XLT has radiator support rot in a big way. Large pieces are falling off both ends down near the frame when I touch them. I have found threads that discuss the repair but they are older trucks. Both Rockauto and LMC tell me they do not have the support for later than 2004. I am really not interested in going to Ford for their $1000 part. Has anyone made the 2004 part work on a 2006 truck? Do I have to fabricate the bottom half and frankenstien it together.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check Rock auto and see if the radiators are the same between the two years. If they are then it should be minimal blue tip wrench time.

OP
OP
F

foredeckguy

Reaction score
Good thought and they are the same! So I should be able to remove the rusted bottom half of the support and weld in new to the existing part thats in good shape. A plan is coming together.

65comet

Reaction score
My 2005 is rotting out there also. The only place on the vehicle with rust, and it is bad. I'm not sure if I'm going to fix it or get rid of the thing. Just about everything known to go bad on these has done so on mine. But hey, nothing else is left to go out on it right? Must have used inferior steel there or improper coating I guess.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to ford...get the part numbers and search the internet for them cheaper...eBay...tascafordparts.com...summit racing...etc

OP
OP
F

foredeckguy

Reaction score
And that is the rub. The Ford manual p/n is 16138 but the internet suppliers (Rockauto, LMC, tasca, summit, ebay... add extra digits, like 4L1Z16138BAA. And no one has a support for 2006. Only up to 2004. Emailed Rockauto and LMC direct, they do not have a support for 2006.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sure if u go to the dealership the part number is listed that way too...I have yet to see it not be that way...idk what to tell you