2nd gen vs 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. On Friday the wife and I went to test drive a 06 Explorer EB 4.6L. We were both super disappointed. It handled like crap, interior was cheap and falling apart and it seemed very under powered with a V8. To my surprise the wife wanted to try an Expedition. She fell in love with it right away. Handles great, tons of room, lots of power and lots of visibility. So far we have driven a 2010 with 30k and my sisters 04 with 117k. To our surprise both handled the same. Nice to know that an 04 117k that's been beat hard still drives like new.

We are considering either a 05-06 or an 07-08. My wife really likes the newer features on the 3rd generation but neither know if it's worth the extra money. I am fine with an 05-06. We can pick up a fully loaded EB with around 60k miles for under $15000.

Is it worth the extra money to get a 3rd gen? Do you guys like the 3rd gen 6 speed? I am mostly concerned about reliability.

Any input would be great. Thanks, Rob

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One piece of advice...keep the wife happy. If she likes the extras on the 3rd gen, go for it! I have just about everything on my EB minus the nav radio and air suspension. Love all of the creature comforts, great road trip vehicle with the kids, can't really complain about anything. Never had an issue with the tranny.
On a side note, the 3rd gens started having the RSD/AdvanceTrac combo which provides more safety to the family, just something extra to think about. If you don't know anything about it, it kills power momentarily when wheel slip is determined or if you get into a situation where a drastic maneuver is needed and she starts to go top heavy, power is reduced to keep you shiny side up.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is more personal prefrence. Between 2nd gen and early 3rd gen's, I dont think there is much difference in options. Mainly looks. I have an 05 EB and the only things it doesn't have are nav, vented rear windows and the more feature power seats. I have the heated and a/c seats, sunroof, 2nd row captains chairs, power fold third and more.

OP
OP
robl110

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally like the 3rd gen too but the price difference is huge. It's really huge if the only reason we are getting it is for some extra features like center console shift. My search has found that I can get an 05 limited or EB with 70k or less miles for $16000 or less. An 07 with 80k plus are going for $23000 and up. We are in no hurry to buy at this point. Who knows, maybe by spring the price will come down on the 3rd gen a little.
What year did they introduce sync?

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to be in an 09 for sync, one of my biggest regrets. And no, can't be retrofitted, I've asked!

OP
OP
robl110

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to be in an 09 for sync, one of my biggest regrets. And no, can't be retrofitted, I've asked!

Ok, no sync for us. Does yours still have a usb jack in the center console?

Edit: Just read your sig. Nice to know I can put hockey pucks in for a little lift. That's what I have done to my Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3rd generation has a 6 speed transmission vs the 4 speed of the 2nd generation. This will allow the engine to run lower RPM and get better fuel economy.

Also, 2009 and newer vehicles can run E-85 fuel. My 2008 can't and when I was traveling thsi past August in the midwest, E-85 was everywhere.

Marc

Last edited:
OP
OP
robl110

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3rd generation has a 6 speed transmission vs the 4 speed of the 2nd generation. This will allow the engine to run lower RPM and get better fuel economy.

Also, 2009 and newer vehicles can run E-85 fuel. My 2008 can't and when I was traveling thsi past August in the midwest, E-85 was everywhere.

Marc

I will have to check out the mileage difference. That could make it worth the extra $.

Don't feel bad that you can't run E85. It may be cheaper but you will get horrible gas mileage. Its pretty much a wash. The only nice thing about having E85 in the midwest is be able to have cheap race fuel to tune turbo and SC cars.