3.73's for 9.75" rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I started looking for FMS 9.75" 3.73 gear sets and not finding much available.

Plenty available for the 8.8 in the front but rear gear sets seemed to be limited to the aftermarket brands.

Part# should be M-4209-H373.

Still considering 4.10's as well. I am running slightly taller tires than stock.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Mine had 3.73 gears from the factory.
I would never spend the money for a factory ring and pinion set. The reputable brands are better quality and cheaper.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would never spend the money for a factory ring and pinion set. The reputable brands are better quality and cheaper.

Unfortunately I have 3.55's

Cheaper no question... but what is the reason why you consider the factory components to be of lesser quality? Modified lightings do well with them but they are a good 1000+ pounds lighter than me so I may end up testing the limits as I increase the power. I considered FMS a reputable brand myself...lol.

I always had great luck with fms 8.8 gearsets in my mustang and they are popular among the mustang drag racers. I also like the fact that the fms gearsets came with oil, friction modifier, shims etc..not sure with the aftermarket kits. I have all the shims I would ever need for the 8.8 but have nothing for a 9.75 rear.

Last edited:

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to disagree, in the mustang world the most popular are the ford racing gears. All the other whine or have problems......

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom when my money tree grows I wanna go with 4.88s then I would have a set of 3.73 laying around...lol

Razor

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I have factory 3.73s for the 9.75 collecting dust in the garage. let me know if you would like them.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I can't think of ANY part that the high performance aftermarket companies make that they haven't improved over the stock unit. The oem manufacturers make every single part down to a price, the aftermarket focuses on performance.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I can't think of ANY part that the high performance aftermarket companies make that they haven't improved over the stock unit. The oem manufacturers make every single part down to a price, the aftermarket focuses on performance.

I understand your logic but honestly don't think it really applies in this case. My experience has been the same as Solisimos in the case of gear sets among the racing community. You can just as easily consider many aftermarket companies products cheaper knock off versions of OEM. Guess it really depends on what item you are talking about or consider "high performance" aftermarket company.