3rd brake light bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct number for the bulbs that go with the third brake light on a 97? Mine are too faded to read.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has always been a good guide for me - Auto Bulb Guide

to answer your question, its bulb 912
t5wedge.jpg

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! I was tried googling it first but obviously I wasn't looking hard enough.

B

bedrck46

you can also get some LED's for use in the third brake light

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats a good idea to use LEDs. I noticed the factory harnesses look sort of melted so its probably from the heat generated by the bulbs

ks10308

Reaction score
Thats a good idea to use LEDs. I noticed the factory harnesses look sort of melted so its probably from the heat generated by the bulbs

No no, bad idea for LED bulbs. I did it before. Unless you buy an actual LED housing/kit (like to replace the stock one and is a LED itself) it is a bad idea. The LEDs are not bright enough to shine through properly due to the thick red OEM plastic. At night, it is still fine (but faded), at day, you cant even tell it's on and can be dangerous. I know because I have done it and got pulled over b/c the cop thought my third brake light was out. example website: Anzo - Third Brake Lights - JCWhitney

B

bedrck46

No no, bad idea for LED bulbs.

I have to disagree with you as I have no problem with the LED's that I used they are plenty bright enough and they even passed the annual state inspection today. Much cheaper that a aftermarket set-up But it would all depend on the type of led's used.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you as I have no problem with the LED's that I used they are plenty bright enough and they even passed the annual state inspection today. Much cheaper that a aftermarket set-up But it would all depend on the type of led's used.

post daytime pics if possible.

I understand what ks10308 is saying - because the bulbs point upward the LEDs would not be as bright. Unless the LEDs are uni-directional cree types then it might work

B

bedrck46

as I said I have no problem but will admit in direct sunlight they are dimmer but then so are the 912 in direct sunlight and also would depend on the COP behind you will try to get some pics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahurry