3rd brake light bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as I said I have no problem but will admit in direct sunlight they are dimmer but then so are the 912 in direct sunlight and also would depend on the COP behind you will try to get some pics

if its not too much to ask - would be great if you can replace 1 of the 3 bulbs with the regular 912 bulb and keep the other two LEDs.

B

bedrck46

the first pic is with 3 #912 installed
the second pic is with the middle #912 and the led's on the end
the third pic is with the above installed

I daylight they are a little dimmer but still you would be able to see the brake light so I would say that using the right LED's is not a bad thing

It may be that the red lenses defuses the White LED's somewhat. As I also have blue LED's in my running board lights and hardly notice any difference in them but the lens is a clear lens.

I do however plan on trying red led's to see if that does make a better improvement and will post the results when I get the red led's FYI

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to get LEDs myself because the heat was wearing out the sockets. I ordered some from amazon and they actually seem brighter than the oldincandescents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With LED's you need to get the same color as the lens they are behind. if you use white leds with a red lens they will be much dimmer then they should.

I replaced mine on my excursion and expedition with 912 red LEDs, now quality and brightness all depends highly on the manufacturer. I've had hit and miss luck with different lights but these i bought are bright and i'm happy.

photo324_zpsaacc859e.jpg

stock 912 bulbs
photo129_zpsd40a7630.jpg

912 LED bulbs
photo230_zps172c4f3e.jpg

B

bedrck46

With LED's you need to get the same color as the lens they are behind. if you use white leds with a red lens they will be much dimmer then they should.QUOTE]

Thank you for your post As I said LED's will work and provided you get the right ones it shouldn't be said that its a bad idea

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine were white but they still seemed brighter. My old ones were ancient and smoky so that may have something to dowith it. When I get a chance I'll take some photos

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks bedrck & alaskanexpy for posting pics!

@ alaskanexpy - where did you get your LEDs?

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I've noticed a couple things...

I purchased some Red LED bulbs to install in the taillights. (These: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJEUUKU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

They are red and are brighter than the regular incandescents I had installed, so I imagine red LED bulbs in the 3rd brake light would be brighter than the white LEDs, as others have said.

Anyway, I've noticed that when the engine is running and the hazard flashers are on, the third brake light LEDs will glow with about half the brightness of the taillights. Why would this be? Everything else functions normally. Just some stray voltage maybe?

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the photos: The first one shows what I'm talking about with the 3rd brake light glowing with the hazard flashers.

The second and third are just all the brake lights illuminated.

Excuse the poor quality. azysujad.jpg4areqa9y.jpg. vu5uganu.jpg

Last edited: