4.6L Triton Oil Filter Removal Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok just bought a new to me '00 EB Expy with 4.6L in awesome shape. Started an oil change and ran smack dab into an oil filter that was on SOOOOOOO freagin' tight I almost swore. In all my 40 odd years of working on cars and trucks I've NEVER encountered an oil filter that was on so tight that I thought they used an impact wrench on max to 'snug' it down!!! Found out that the original owner ALWAYS took it to Ford Stealership to get serviced. I guess them chuckleheads think it's grand fun to over-tighten the filter. I hear it's pretty common. I tried all the standard methods at first-4-different styles of filter wrenches but to no avail. Went to more drastic measures using a long-reach screwdriver at the base of the filter and attempting to "encourage" it off. Then a pickle fork. Steel pipe. Long chisel. At this point the filter body has more holes than swiss cheese. The problem is getting a good leveraging grip on the filter, but with the power steering pump res in the way-it's near impossible. What I finally ended up doing is getting a 5' piece of chain, wrapping it around the filter a few times, anchoring one end then using a screwdriver through the other end of the chain-I pulled like a *****. Bam! She finally comes loose. So if you're at your wits end, try this method.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find it alot easier to smack a screw driver right through the filter when the tough get going.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
alot of oil filters say on them, hand till gasket seats, then 3/4 turn to tighten

Why some people try to tighten them like there lug nuts is beyond me.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The service station put my truck on a lift and used an old fan belt to loosen the filter. Its easier to tug with the old belt especially when the truck is above you. He made a loop with the belt in such a way that it tightened counterclockwise when pulled.

OP
OP
G

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm my own chucklehead-docraymund!!-Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!? Why, that is better than the chain method-I'd guess-and I have tons of old-school belts-from the days before serpentines! Thanks! I'll keep this little gem-of-an-idea tucked away for future reference! Just so you other guys with the '00 4.6's know-the filter wrench recommended by 'stamp11127' in post #5, I also tried and couldn't get it to grip. Also tried the ol' punch-a-screwdriver-through-the-filter but it's a real tight squeeze and MY filter was on so tight, the filter was just destroyed.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow. Was it already warmed up, or cold drain?
Agree with above: once it contacts base, 3/4 turn and should be GTG. check after the first few minutes for leaks after restart.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
An old trick, is use transmission fluid on the gasket. It is more refined, conditions seals and rated at a higher temp, than motor oil. I have been using for years and filters come off fine. I only hand tighten.

LuisQ

Reaction score
I find it alot easier to smack a screw driver right through the filter when the tough get going.

Last time I tried that, I sliced the filter in half. Luckily it was on my Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo with Honda badges), which has the filter mounted in front of the engine just behind the bumper.