4 months of ownership...'17 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4 months, to the day....I will probably park the Expy and begin to drive my 2 seater as soon as the threat of snow disappears just so I don't burn all my warranty in the first year!

I do love this truck though! With us under a snow watch Monday night, I slid under the front end to remove the removable dam so it wouldn't get damaged by deep snow. The manual indicates several twist-loc screws but that wasn't the case. There were two 10x35mm bolts (13mm heads) & two press pins that I just snipped off since I have a case-assortment. Took two minutes. I'll put it back on this weekend when it warms a bit.

jeff

20170316_054705.jpg

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And here I thought I was running up the miles at about 1500/month! Just drive it. It depreciates whether rolling or sitting!

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to hear you still like the '17. I have my first K on the clock with a bit over 1 month. Really a luxurious improvement over my '12 FX4. Of all the years driving F-150s with a solid rear axel it is a pleasure to replace it with the Expedition with independent suspension. Very noticeable.

Enjoy your ride, don't let it sit. Your motorcycles will understand:angels25:.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate the sentiments guys but geez, I hate to "use up" my 3-36 in the first year!

There just seems to be something "wrong" with that....but it will motivate me to buy that extended warranty that I've been pushing off. I did a bunch of research when I first bought my truck so at least that part of the decision is done.

Besides, my two seater car is a SLK230 hard-top convertible (top retracts into the truck) with a couple of engine mods that is a blast to drive so once it warms up, I'll be driving that since it's been covered in the garage all winter. I have told people, that had I known how fun convertibles were to drive, I would have bought one year ago!

I still have to sell the '03 EB expy too. Someone put a note on my door asking if the untagged Expy was for sale, to please call them...maybe I'll give them a call this week.....might be the same guy that bought my '99 when he noticed there was no tag on it a few years ago. He bought my old truck and my boat...made my life easy<LOL>!!

jeff

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh... sure is easy to sell a truck in your area

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cool you have within a tenth the same mpg i have

i hate those dam green lights that tell you the lights are on... i placed a peice of xray film over them to block the night time annoyance

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have to sell the '03 EB expy too. Someone put a note on my door asking if the untagged Expy was for sale, to please call them...maybe I'll give them a call this week.....might be the same guy that bought my '99 when he noticed there was no tag on it a few years ago. He bought my old truck and my boat...made my life easy<LOL>!!

jeff
My salesman told me that they just sold my old 05. The guy beat them up pretty good on the price and then made them repaint the hood and the liftgate. I can't wait to find out what the final price was. :) I'd love to see how it turned out.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cool you have within a tenth the same mpg i have

i hate those dam green lights that tell you the lights are on... i placed a peice of xray film over them to block the night time annoyance

PB,

The lights don't bother me...I just don't notice them. I remember you guys talking a while back about them and the glare from the shifter but I just never noticed any of those things.

The odometer reading that was shown in the pic is the "tank to tank" bar graph that I use it for. I reset the bar graph every tank. If I click UP once from the bar, I get to the "total since new" summary, then click UP again to get to the summary of the bar graph. The funny thing is that 1 click up to get to the "summary since new" started over yesterday.....it doesn't read above 9999!

BUT all said...my mileage since new was 17.4, exactly what the pic showed.

Andy,

I would never want to know what they sold it for but everyone's different. Hope you hear the real number.

Gas mileage:

I have used BP Gold 93 since new...every tank, all the time. I don't pay for gas so I can afford to buy premium. Tuesday morning I was running close to empty and since we had snow on the roads, I stopped and filled with Exxon and SEEM to notice a difference. My mileage when full is usually a bit higher because I'm on the highway going back and forth to work...it only lowers when running errands, usually on the weekends so that "tank to tank" graph in the pic usually would have read higher, like 17.9 or 18.1. I honestly don't know how much of it had to do with BP vs Exxon though. I partially filled it this morning(BP gold) and my "tank to tank" reading on the bar is 20.1 and it will drop from there each tank.

Also

I read recently that turning off traction control yields another mpg....so I'm going to see on this tank(refilled this morning). I'll see if it really does or not.

jeff

20170317_064356_resized.jpg

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PB,

The lights don't bother me...I just don't notice them. I remember you guys talking a while back about them and the glare from the shifter but I just never noticed any of those things.

The odometer reading that was shown in the pic is the "tank to tank" bar graph that I use it for. I reset the bar graph every tank. If I click UP once from the bar, I get to the "total since new" summary, then click UP again to get to the summary of the bar graph. The funny thing is that 1 click up to get to the "summary since new" started over yesterday.....it doesn't read above 9999!

BUT all said...my mileage since new was 17.4, exactly what the pic showed.

Andy,

I would never want to know what they sold it for but everyone's different. Hope you hear the real number.

Gas mileage:

I have used BP Gold 93 since new...every tank, all the time. I don't pay for gas so I can afford to buy premium. Tuesday morning I was running close to empty and since we had snow on the roads, I stopped and filled with Exxon and SEEM to notice a difference. My mileage when full is usually a bit higher because I'm on the highway going back and forth to work...it only lowers when running errands, usually on the weekends so that "tank to tank" graph in the pic usually would have read higher, like 17.9 or 18.1. I honestly don't know how much of it had to do with BP vs Exxon though. I partially filled it this morning(BP gold) and my "tank to tank" reading on the bar is 20.1 and it will drop from there each tank.

Also

I read recently that turning off traction control yields another mpg....so I'm going to see on this tank(refilled this morning). I'll see if it really does or not.

jeff

View attachment 19722[/QUOTE
I have begun using the higher octane gas each fill up. Out here at the higher altitudes, our highest choice at the pump is 91, since anything higher doesn't get enough oxygen to be of any use. There is definitely a difference in performance and MPG using the higher oct fuels with the TT engine. These engines are direct injected and have a compression ration of 10:1.

What would the compression ration of the 5.4 triton be?