4R70W hard rolling downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1997 Expy 4.6L 4x4 230k

Ever since I bought the truck. When I have to slow down from 40-60mph and roll through a corner or waiting for someone to make a turn then get back on the gas it downshifts hard into 2and gear. I have completely flushed the trans and replaced the filter. I dont think there are any codes. But have not run a scanner to confirm this. It shifts nicely otherwise. Tows very well (out of OD of course) and doesn't show any other problems. What could cause this? I'm keeping the truck and if its something I can fix myself I will. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These transmissions are known for a harsh 4 - 2 downshift at times, it is the OD band's achillies heel, so to speak. Being aggressive "getting back on the gas" seems to be the conditions that it shows up.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if its a normal thing I guess I'll put up with it. But it seems odd. Since the first time it happened I have been a lot easier on the trans. when accelerating after the 4 - 2 downshift. I just hoped there was something I could do to make it better. It feels like I'm tearing the trans apart every time it happens.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First time it happened to me in my '08 E150 workvan I thought I'd been rear-ended. Doesn't happen too often though... Seems to be the same conditions too.

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can anticipate a situation where you need to accelerate quickly from a roll or coast, try pushing the OD Lockout button to get the trans into 3rd before mashing the throttle, this will then give a much smoother 3 - 2 downshift and prolong the life of the transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2