4x4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridgerunner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 98 Expy 4X4. I am disabled and need it lowered to help get in and out of it and to carry my power wheelchair. Is this possible to do? Please don't say to go and buy a 2wd I am making payments on this one.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Are you looking to have it lower down just for you to get in and then have it return to normal height, or do you just want it lowered like the 'street truck' guys do?

The first option could be accomplished with air bags, the second with a simple lowering kit.

I guess we also need to know exactly how low you would need it to be.

OP
OP
Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you looking to have it lower down just for you to get in and then have it return to normal height, or do you just want it lowered like the 'street truck' guys do?

The first option could be accomplished with air bags, the second with a simple lowering kit.

I guess we also need to know exactly how low you would need it to be.

I only need a inch or 2 to be honest my wife said to get a foot stool LOL.
I really don't want to lower it but my balance isn't that great. Being on a fixed income I would think air bags would be out of the question.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you currently have the Air suspension? If so...I think you could adjust the ride height sensors to make it sit lower? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If you do not have the air suspension. Maybe you could have someone adjust the Torsion bars in front to have it sit lower(Your going to need an alignment at the same time. From someone competent!). In the rear you could use some spring clamps to compress the coils. Like these : Superior 18-1201 Spring-Lox, 2-Way Adjustable Spring Spacer : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'm looking for budget fixes here. You could also probably find(or have made) some lowing springs for the rear.

OP
OP
Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you currently have the Air suspension? If so...I think you could adjust the ride height sensors to make it sit lower? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If you do not have the air suspension. Maybe you could have someone adjust the Torsion bars in front to have it sit lower(Your going to need an alignment at the same time. From someone competent!). In the rear you could use some spring clamps to compress the coils. Like these : Superior 18-1201 Spring-Lox, 2-Way Adjustable Spring Spacer : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'm looking for budget fixes here. You could also probably find(or have made) some lowing springs for the rear.

Thanks JBanks I will take it to a shop and have a lowered and a alignment done. No I don't have air ride, I didn't think a 4X4 would have it.

Last edited:

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got to wondering how much lower you could get using the stock torsion bar keys.

Here's another product I found that might be useful in lowing the front. Belltech Sport Trucks and Muscle Cars

Still kind of expensive. Here are some other places to buy them. Belltech 3933 | Frugal Mechanic
I didn't see Summit Racing listed there. They would be my choice. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-3933?seid=srese2

I also found this thread about F150's which are the same front suspension. torsion key lowering - F150online Forums

I keep hoping someone else will show up in this thread that has lowered a 4x4.

OP
OP
Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got to wondering how much lower you could get using the stock torsion bar keys.

Here's another product I found that might be useful in lowing the front. Belltech Sport Trucks and Muscle Cars

Still kind of expensive. Here are some other places to buy them. Belltech 3933 | Frugal Mechanic
I didn't see Summit Racing listed there. They would be my choice. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-3933?seid=srese2

I also found this thread about F150's which are the same front suspension. torsion key lowering - F150online Forums

I keep hoping someone else will show up in this thread that has lowered a 4x4.

Thank You again. That thread on F150online forums will be a bigger help.