5.0 twin turbo coyote??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn’t plow with it, intercoolers. It would get dismal fuel economy compared to the 6.2 and 7.3, heat dissipation wouldn’t be as good. I could go on.

If they made a 3/4 ton Expy the 6.2 and 7.3 are much better suited to the job. Big cast iron blocks with big bores. The 5.0 is in the same vehicle category as the EcoBoost...they aren’t made for sever duty.

the truck is not made for that period!! LOL, why would you immediately go to.........well you couldnt plow with it!!! LOL. Its a people hauler, a soccer mom van for those who dont like vans!! Its not severe duty period, in any way, in design, implementation, anything. It is awesome at what it is designed for. if they put a TTV8 they would sell a million of them. the ecoboost is not severe duty but it is one hell of a motor. same with the 5.0 the 5.0 is about as tried and true as you can get. you can easily get 500,000 miles out of properly cared for 5.0, you can also build one to 1,500hp with relative reliability comparatively speaking.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that's probably the single most useful piece of information about these engines I have ever read. Basically, they're expensive toys.
thank you very much.
WTF are you talking about? Expensive toys? compared to what? What severe duty motor would you like to see in the expy? you need a severe duty motor to make it worthy in your opinion? LOL!!!!

I hope you are not referencing the 5.4 in your 2004?!?!?!?!? that motor was FAAAARRRR from severe duty. Has it done well by you or was it just an expensive toy??

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? Expensive toys? compared to what? What severe duty motor would you like to see in the expy? you need a severe duty motor to make it worthy in your opinion? LOL!!!!

I hope you are not referencing the 5.4 in your 2004?!?!?!?!? that motor was FAAAARRRR from severe duty. Has it done well by you or was it just an expensive toy??

well, I don't know about your expensive toy, but mine was built as a Police Package for a fire department, in which it did very well for almost 16 years, thank you very much. I bought it from them and it's doing just fine. the design itself is widely known for its reliability and durability. of course it has its issues. what motor does not?
what makes the ecoboost, et al, expensive toys is their cost, both to buy and to maintain, compared with what they deliver for that money. unless you're racing them, you're really not getting value for money.
of course, this argument could go on for days because it all comes down to what we mean by "value". and, of course, I'm right and you are wrong.

oh, and lest I forget: the severe duty motor I would love to see in the Expy is the "million mile" 12V Cummins. I'm not saying the 12V lasts a million miles, though some have, I'm specifically referring to the rebuilds coming out of a shop in Oregon. If i ever find the damn link again, I'll post it. and as soon as I win the lottery, I'm putting one in.
failing that, I'd settle for an improved Ford straight six.

and yes, I need a severe duty motor in any vehicle I own. I resent paying for repairs for issues that arise solely because bureaucrats are allowed to design engines. I resist putting any more money in a car than absolutely necessary, which is why I don't buy new ones, and haven't since 1985. it's the only time i ever bought a new one and it wasn't worth what I paid for it.
though I grew up in a Chevy family, i switched to Fords because Chevy's just cost too much to drive.
an important metric that is almost universally ignored is cost per mile. almost nobody knows what the cost per mile is for the cars they are driving, and paying for.
Mine, for example, since I bought it has cost me $1.41 per mile counting every part of the purchase price, repairs, upgrades, gas; everything but insurance. I think that's higher than it could be because as a retiree we hardly drive it. we've had it almost two years and still haven't put another ten thousand miles on it, which is killing the cost per mile. but i do know what my total cost of ownership is.

PS this is not the original article, but this might be the shop i'm referring to: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1605-how-to-give-a-cummins-59l-12-valve-second-life

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the truck is not made for that period!! LOL, why would you immediately go to.........well you couldnt plow with it!!! LOL. Its a people hauler, a soccer mom van for those who dont like vans!! Its not severe duty period, in any way, in design, implementation, anything. It is awesome at what it is designed for. if they put a TTV8 they would sell a million of them. the ecoboost is not severe duty but it is one hell of a motor. same with the 5.0 the 5.0 is about as tried and true as you can get. you can easily get 500,000 miles out of properly cared for 5.0, you can also build one to 1,500hp with relative reliability comparatively speaking.

dude WTF are you talking about? The OP was talking about a 3/4 ton expy. You’d either be plowing with it or towing extremely heavy loads. What 2500 truck do you see with an aluminum block engine? I’ll wait.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 5.4 is a deep skirted cast iron block with forged pistons and rods.....it was implemented for 3/4 ton use and put into the F-250 as well as half tons. More heavy duty than the 5.0 or 5.3, just look at the blocks lol, namely the mains and beefcake. The 5.0 may be more ‘reliable’ I’ll give you that. But it definitely isn’t heavier duty if you undress them down to the short blocks.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dude WTF are you talking about? The OP was talking about a 3/4 ton expy. You’d either be plowing with it or towing extremely heavy loads. What 2500 truck do you see with an aluminum block engine? I’ll wait.
touche' didnt see the 3/4 ton reference. i dont even understand that reference though. title should say why dont they bring back the Excursion. Which is literally what that was, a 3/4 ton suv with gas and diesel options!!

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4 is a deep skirted cast iron block with forged pistons and rods.....it was implemented for 3/4 ton use and put into the F-250 as well as half tons. More heavy duty than the 5.0 or 5.3, just look at the blocks lol, namely the mains and beefcake. The 5.0 may be more ‘reliable’ I’ll give you that. But it definitely isn’t heavier duty if you undress them down to the short blocks.

I owned a 2004 expy with the 5.4. IT WAS A TURD!!!!!!!! slow, lacking power, it blew the damn spark plug out of the head, which IMO ultimately caused it to fail. they repaired the head in the motor and it died a few thousand miles after that. whole side, cant remember which, maybe passenger, was starved of oil. Just because they put it in a 250 doesnt make it severe duty!!! there are plenty of iron block motors out there that are FAR FROM HEAVY DUTY.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not build this? an upgrade in a 3/4 ton Expy towing machine! Could be the replacement to the 6.2?

Because longevity and serviceability are much more important than pure power in a 3/4 ton vehicle. Those vehicles are designed primarily for work. While the 1/2 tons work, they also double as family haulers and work/play vehicles. A 3/4 ton needs power yes, but it also needs a long life. A highly stressed 5.0 isn't really the architecture for a vehicle that will be working hard all the time. That's why Ford went with a OHV engine for its new engine.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I owned a 2004 expy with the 5.4. IT WAS A TURD!!!!!!!! slow, lacking power, it blew the damn spark plug out of the head, which IMO ultimately caused it to fail. they repaired the head in the motor and it died a few thousand miles after that. whole side, cant remember which, maybe passenger, was starved of oil. Just because they put it in a 250 doesnt make it severe duty!!! there are plenty of iron block motors out there that are FAR FROM HEAVY DUTY.

are you seriously condemning an engine design on one example? sorry yours was a lemon, but c'mon man, get over it already.

to be fair, if I had one spitting spark plugs in traffic and Ford wanting to charge me a few grand for new heads, I'd probably be chasing them down in the streets with pitchforks and torches. that was one of the things I checked for before I bought mine; that the plugs had been changed relatively recently, i.e., new design.

Last edited:

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you're gonna swap an engine in, why not a Cummins 12V?

Because if I want a heavy ass diesel in a truck, I'll take a Super Duty with a 7.3 PSD. Keep that little wannaba cutey-pie toy...the mall crawler crowd that rolls coal on parked cars can have that generic shit. ;)