5.4 Issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Thanks for the code meanings Exia! Yeah. Good thing he didn't charge me on the last diagnostic check.

Thanks 01xlt4wd33! This will be helpful.

no it won't. I've been chasing this code 1147 for over a month now. I give up. Done replaced pcm, battery, O2 sensors, DPFE, 3 towings, etc. I'm going to the city (Louisville) either today or this week and talk to the BIG dealership up there. The local dealership knew even less than I did the PATS issue. It's already been to 2 mechanics and 2 more passed on looking at it. It's frustrating as hell.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no it won't. I've been chasing this code 1147 for over a month now. I give up. Done replaced pcm, battery, O2 sensors, DPFE, 3 towings, etc. I'm going to the city (Louisville) either today or this week and talk to the BIG dealership up there. The local dealership knew even less than I did the PATS issue. It's already been to 2 mechanics and 2 more passed on looking at it. It's frustrating as hell.

From my research and studying, U1147 is one of the Ford gremlins, happens on alot of the vehicles not just the expy's. But its highly related to the thief system here is a more detailed analysis of DTCS U1147

"This code indicates a communication issue (Bus+, Bus-) between the PCM and PATS. This code cannot be caused by a PATS key, PATS transceiver, or the circuits between the PATS transceiver and PATS control. Whenever a PATS has U1147 as a stored DTC, there should be a P1260'theft detected, engine disabled' in the PCM stored codes. If not, there is a possible power-up issue of the PCM (ie PATS is powering up at key to run/start but the PCM is not, therefore when PATS tries to communicate over circuits 914 and 915 to the PCM, there is no response); verify power and ground circuits to the PCM; verify the tester can communicate with the PCM."

Now this is a solution I found for DTCS U1147

DTC U1147: SCP INVALID OR MISSING DATA FOR VEHICLE SECURITY

U1147-1 CHECK THE ANTI-THEFT INDICATOR FOR PROPER OPERATION
Start the vehicle.
Verify the theft indicator proves out properly.
Does the vehicle start with the theft indicator flashing? Yes/No
If the vehicle starts, VERIFY the PCM calibration is correct for the vehicle. If OK, REFER to Section 3 in Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostics Manual. GO to U1147-2.

U1147-2 CHECK THE PCM DIAGNOSTIC CAPABILITY
Connect NGS to DLC.
Retrieve and document continuous DTCs.
Clear continuous DTCs.
PCM Self-Test.
Does the NGS communicate with the PCM? Yes/No
GO to U1147-3 . REFER to Section 18-04.

U1147-3 RETRIEVE THE PCM DTCS
Is DTC P1260 retrieved? Yes/No
GO to U1147-4 . VERIFY PCM power and ground. REFER to Section 3 in Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic Manual.

U1147-4 CHECK THE COMMUNICATION NETWORK
Repeat Inspection and Verification steps 4 through 8; refer to Inspection and Verification.
Key off.
Clear continuous DTCs.
Perform PATS on-demand self-test.
s DTC U1147 retrieved? Yes/No
REPLACE the PATS module; REFER to Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Control Module. CYCLE the ignition to RUN using two encoded ignition keys. GO to Pinpoint Test B2139-. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation. System is OK.
------------------------------
DTC B2139: PCM ID DOES NOT MATCH BETWEEN PATS AND PCM

B2139-1 RETRIEVE THE DTCS
Key off.
Connect NGS to DLC.
Clear continuous DTCs.
Key OFF and key ON and retrieve DTCs.
Is DTC B2139 retrieved? Yes/No
GO to B2139-2 . System is OK.

B2139-2 CLEAR PCM ID FROM PATS MODULE AND PCM
Perform the security access procedure; refer to Security Access — Procedure.
NOTE: Do NOT perform ignition key code erase.

Select PARAMETER RESET command for PATS.
Use diagnostic card for PCM Active Command Keep Alive Memory Reset.
Turn the ignition switch to run for thirty seconds.
Clear continuous DTCs.
Retrieve continuous DTCs.
Is DTC B2139 retrieved? Yes/No

VERIFY PCM calibration is correct for vehicle. If correct, REPEAT Step 2. If fault code persists, REPLACE the PATS module; REFER to Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Control Module. CYCLE the ignition to RUN using two encoded ignition keys. GO to Pinpoint Test B2139- . CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the systemfor normal operation. If the concern still exists, REPLACE the PCM; GO to Pinpoint Test B2139- . CLEAR the DTCs. System is OK. CHECK for any other DTCs; FOLLOW Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index.
------------------------------

Second Solution
1. Get into the Expedition and insert the known correct key into the ignition and turn it. If you use a non PATS key, such as one that was cut simply to open the doors from an all-metal key blank, the system will remain armed. If the Expedition starts, then you have disarmed the PATS system. If not, move on to step 2.

2. Verify you have the right key. Ford PATS keys have large black plastic, or molded rubber, heads. Inside the head is a transponder chip that is programmed to a certain code so that the PATS transponder in the vehicle recognizes the key. It is possible for a PATS key to lose its programming, but highly unlikely. In the event you are certain you have the correct key, try to start the Expedition with the spare, if you have it. If the Expedition still refuses to start, move on to step 3.

3. Wait 15 minutes, until you see the flashing rate on the red light on your dashboard decrease to normal speed and then try both keys again. If this still fails to start the Expedition, raise the hood and disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, then reconnect it and try again. If, after that, you still cannot get the Expedition to start, you will need to have it towed to a Ford service department for further diagnosis by a trained technician.

The PATS system consists of the key, the transponder and the halo. The halo is a small ring that rests around the ignition tumbler in order to recognize the proper key. If you have had your ignition tumbler or switch replaced recently, and are now having PATS troubles, inspect the halo for damage. It can be broken easily if care is not exercised when removing or reinstalling the ignition tumbler.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev